FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wirecast on Yosemite?

COW Forums : Telestream Wirecast

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Slocombe
Wirecast on Yosemite?
on Oct 26, 2014 at 12:20:20 pm

Hi - anyone using Wirecast on Yosemite? I see the spec on Telestream advises not supported - but wonder if users are finding it ok?

Mark Slocombe
http://www.creationvideo.com
London, England

Return to posts index

David Intrator
Re: Wirecast on Yosemite?
on Nov 1, 2014 at 12:06:54 am

I'm using Ustream Producer, which is Telstream's Wirecast, white-labeled for Ustream.

It is not compatible with Yosemite, which I've found out the hard way.

To make matters worse, Telestream does not say when Wirecast will be available on Yosemite, and Ustream's tech support did not even know what Yosemite was when I spoke with them 4 days after Yosemite's release!

I've been on top of this issue since I discovered the problem and have been stonewalled by both Ustream and Telestream.

I'm looking for alternatives. Do you know of any?

It's not like Yosemite wasn't in beta for 5 months.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 1, 2014 at 2:32:37 am
Last Edited By Craig Seeman on Nov 1, 2014 at 2:40:27 am

[David Intrator] "It's not like Yosemite wasn't in beta for 5 months."

Being compatible with a Beta OS does not guarantee compatibility with the Release version. Betas change.

[David Intrator] "have been stonewalled by both Ustream and Telestream. "

Telestream has not stonewalled anyone. In order to insure compatibility there has to be changes and tests of those changes to ensure compatibility.

Professionally speaking, when an OS is updated and you don't see an update with a program around the same time, one should be cautious. There are those who are finding intermittent issues with button with Yosemite. That means that sometimes it does work, Some have found things seem to work a bit after trashing preferences.

Return to posts index

David Intrator
on Nov 1, 2014 at 3:47:58 am

Hello Craig,

Thank you for responding, but your response is unacceptable.

For one, large companies like Adobe and small ones like Sound Siphon have been able to deal with Yosemite with little or no problem. And many who did foresee problems informed their customers to wait before upgrading to Yosemite.

This idea of keeping your customers in the loop is key. If it is Telestream's policy to wait until the final build to begin working on a update, it is Telestream's responsibility to inform its customers, (and to tell Ustream to inform its customers) not to upgrade.

No notice was given by Telestream nor by Ustream until after the Yosemite problems surfaced.

To place the burden of responsibility on the customer to assume that developers of a paid application have not even begun to address potential problems due to an important and well-publicized upgrade is patronizing, to say the least.

And finally, there is a reason OS upgrades are announced in advance, and beta versions are provided. Indeed, there might be issues to address with the final build, but it at least gives developers the chance to foresee problems that might arise, start working on their code and then tweak it when the final build comes out. It gives them a critical head start on resolving conflicts, and like I said, let their customers know about it.

It is now about 2 and one-half weeks since Yosemite was released, and there is no word from Telestream or Ustream concerning when an upgrade will be available.

Instead, as I have read on the Telestream forum page devoted to this issue, the company takes the position (as you reiterate here) that the customer is at fault. In effect Telestream is loudly announcing "Caveat Emptor-- Buyer Beware. It is your responsibility, Dear Customer, to assume that we do not have our act together and that we don't even care enough to inform you about it. That you trusted us to do otherwise reveals your naiveté and lack of professionalism."

This is a peculiar approach to customer relations.

(And as for the trashing of preferences, I've tried it and it doesn't work. And if you read the Telestream forum page, it appears to only work temporarily for those for whom it worked at all.)

On a positive note, I do speaking engagements at corporations as well as universities about branding, customer relations and the like. This episode provides a wonderful case study of what a company should not do: be ill-prepared for an important upgrade, keep its customers in the dark, and then blame them for its own mistake.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 1, 2014 at 4:11:41 am

You may want to examine Sony's software compatible with Yosemite.
I'd also note Apple's own video apps (Apple Motion for example) have noteworthy issues with Yosemite.

There are many large companies that aren't yet compatible. The issues vary depending on the software specifics involved.

As a professional and former video facility engineer, you never upgrade an OS until you've gotten confirmation that mission critical software is compatible.

There are people who may test Wirecast and find no issue with Yosemite during testing. The problem with the issues around the OS are by no means consistent. Some can do jobs from end to end several times in a row without a problem which may have been the case during testing.

Return to posts index

Ray Naylor
on Nov 30, 2014 at 6:19:25 pm

I have the same problem, but I do take some responsibility for upgrading to Yosemite without checking Ustream first. At the same time, it would have been more than nice for Ustream to let people know of this issue. I use (of course not now) Producer Pro 5.0.3 and it cost a good chunk of change, so I'm not happy that I can't use it right now. Also, I did send a "support ticket" to Ustream. They did respond saying that when the update became available it would it update the program in other ways, and that there would be an cost to upgrade. So, if I ever want to use the software that I paid good money for, I have to spend more.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]