FORUMS: list search recent posts

Wirecast & new Mac Pro

COW Forums : Telestream Wirecast

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andre van Berlo
Wirecast & new Mac Pro
on Nov 29, 2013 at 8:53:33 pm

Hey everyone,

Within a week or 2 I'll be buying&configuring my new mac pro. The telestream website states that for streaming 3 cameras with wirecast & recording them to disk you need a minimum of an 8 core computer.

I saw the new macpro estimated multicore performance benchmarks( http://www.primatelabs.com/blog/2013/11/estimating-mac-pro-performance/ ):

the 6 core version scores way higher than the 2010 8 core, and is only 10% slower than the 12 core mac from 2010

Does that mean that the new 6 core mac pro + wirecast will easily handle 3-4 cameras and stream them to the web while recording the stream to disk?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Wirecast & new Mac Pro
on Nov 29, 2013 at 10:27:06 pm

[Andre van Berlo] "The telestream website states that for streaming 3 cameras with wirecast & recording them to disk you need a minimum of an 8 core computer. "

The website makes recommendations. There's no 8 core minimum.
You can easily stream 3 HD cameras with 4 cores if you keep it to 720p. 1080p may push it.

[Andre van Berlo] "Does that mean that the new 6 core mac pro + wirecast will easily handle 3-4 cameras and stream them to the web while recording the stream to disk?"

Newer processors are far more capable than older processors. A MacPro "Tube" with 4 cores will be much more powerful than a 2008 MacPro with 8 cores in most cases.

Personally I suspect a 6 core MacPro Tube will probably handle 4 HD cameras, quite possibly at 1080 both streaming and recording (to an external Thunderbolt or USB3 drive).

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Nov 30, 2013 at 7:52:00 am

Hey Craig,

thank you so much for that fast reply! I was hoping for that answer! I've already bought wirecast withthe black friday discount and I will be using the mac pro + 3 minirecorders from black magic that will go directly into the thunderboltports on the mac pro. I want to go for the 8 core mac but estimates are it will go above my budget of $5500-6000

thanks again!

Andre

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 30, 2013 at 6:33:42 pm

BTW I'll likely be getting the new 6 Core as well. I have no worries about the number of HD cameras it can handle. Its small size means I can bring it to an on location job and get far more power than a laptop.

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Nov 30, 2013 at 5:12:07 pm

Hi Craig,

I hope you don't mind me asking another question(also I don't know if I should open a different topic for this):

can I record each camera(3-4 DSLR's) to ssd separately with wirecast?

I was thinking of getting a black magic multidock and have the 4 ssd's in raid for recording the camera's. (the cams are connected to the mac pro via ultra studio mini recorders, also the multidock is connected to the mac pro via thunderbolt). Or would that be pushing the 6 core mac pro? I also don't know the dual GPU setup would help. I did read elsewhere that you mentioned that Wirecast works very well with AMD GPU's

André

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 30, 2013 at 6:36:26 pm

[Andre van Berlo] "can I record each camera(3-4 DSLR's) to ssd separately with wirecast? "

ISO recording? Matrox VS4 Wirecast Windows only at the moment.

Of course if a video in has pass through (MiniRecorder doesn't) you may be able to pass through to recording devices.

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Nov 30, 2013 at 8:08:18 pm

Thanks for the reply Craig!

not being able to capture is a bummer. Actually I think I came accross another post of your somewhere on the web (this thread: http://www.linkedin.com/groups/Multiple-camera-connection-mac-book-85213.S.... also wirecast related) where you said that you can use a max of 2 ultra studio recorders at a time. So my "dream setup" of using 3 UMR's is not going to work then?
Perhaps I can live with the fact that I'm not going to be able to do the ISO recordings during live streaming but could I just capture uncompressed video from my 3 cams to SDD when I'm just making video tutorials at home on my mac pro or is that just not possible with the mini recorders. (also don't know which software to use)

thanks again for all your insights, they're really helpful!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]