FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multi-Device Support Wirecast to Wowza

COW Forums : Telestream Wirecast

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuck Pullen
Multi-Device Support Wirecast to Wowza
on Aug 16, 2012 at 3:27:47 pm

I am currently streaming to Wowza using flash, and I think it’s time I expand to support “i” devices since it looks like they aren’t going anywhere anytime soon. I am having trouble understanding the workflow as described by the Wirecast/Wowza forums. Should I be originating both a Flash and a H.264 stream from Wirecast? Should I just send Wowza the flash stream, and will Wowza's Transcoder create the H.264 stream? Will I need to have separate streams on the website (one for flash/one for “i” devices?

I do a lot of field streaming and I barely have enough bandwidth to push out a single stream from Wirecast, I doubt I will be able to push two streams back to Wowza, so I have to pick one to send back and let Wowza do the work I think?

Chuck

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Multi-Device Support Wirecast to Wowza
on Aug 16, 2012 at 4:00:36 pm

From Wirecast just send Flash H.264 RTMP.
If you've properly setup Wowza it will send an iOS compatible stream (http segmented H.264).

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
on Aug 16, 2012 at 4:09:40 pm

Thanks as always Craig. I also was concerned about the jitter issues that users were experiencing last year. It looks as if they have been corrected with Wirecast and Wowza updates?

Chuck

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 16, 2012 at 4:12:47 pm

Wirecast 4.1.4 and Wowza 3 is a good combination. Both made updates that addressed lots of issues.

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
on Aug 16, 2012 at 4:30:23 pm

Last question I promise...

How will this effect bandwidth/CPU usage or local recordings?

P.S. Has Wirecast given anymore thought to adding automation? There still seems to be no programs out there that will allow you to do scheduling for streaming.

Chuck

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 16, 2012 at 4:52:05 pm

[Chuck Pullen] "How will this effect bandwidth/CPU usage or local recordings?"

I'm not sure what you're referring to (this?).

[Chuck Pullen] "P.S. Has Wirecast given anymore thought to adding automation? There still seems to be no programs out there that will allow you to do scheduling for streaming."

It depends on what you mean by "automation." There's ShotKicker for Windows Wirecast and the same person is working on a Mac Wirecast equivalent. I'm finding I can create playlists in CamTwist and Wirecast sees that just as it sees Desktop Presenter. The above person is looking at integrating iCal for Wirecast scheduling.

Telestream is investigating as well. You should contact their support and describe exactly how you'd want such automation to work. There's various ideas so being as detailed as possible helps them sort through the possibilities vs user needs.

Exactly how would you like the automation to work?

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
on Aug 16, 2012 at 5:10:02 pm

I am just curious if switching from flash to H.264 will effect the amount of CPU being used, and I am assuming to push out the same quality image will not require any more or less bandwidth using H.264.

As far as automation, I am looking for a scheduling program similar to one you would see at a TV or radio station. I would love to be able to schedule certain files (video/stills) at certain times, as well as switch to and from different camera sources. I will look into the programs you suggested.

Thanks Craig!

Chuck

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 13, 2012 at 5:43:33 pm

[Chuck Pullen] "I am just curious if switching from flash to H.264 will effect the amount of CPU being used,"

Flash isn't a codec. H.264 works in Flash as well as Quicktime. Same codec. Same CPU resources.

BTW several people are working on automation for Wirecast.
One example is ShotKicker (Windows)

Return to posts index

Chuck Pullen
on Sep 13, 2012 at 6:04:08 pm

After I updated Wirecast and saw ALL of those beautiful new presets I understood what you meant.

Here is where I am getting confused (And this is more of a Wowza issue) Right now I am streaming a flash (H.264) to Wowza and you can go to our site and watch on a PC no problem. I installed the Transcoder plug-in on Wowza but I still don’t understand how the “i” products can see the stream since it is still Flash on the website?

Maybe I need to push out Quicktime AND Flash from Wirecast? Maybe I need to get away from the Flash Player and start using maybe the JW Player?

I have lots of questions about the workflow, and I am slowly working my way through them.

Thanks as always Craig!

Chuck

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 13, 2012 at 6:09:22 pm

[Chuck Pullen] "I installed the Transcoder plug-in on Wowza but I still don’t understand how the “i” products can see the stream since it is still Flash on the website?"

Because it detects whether it's a website or a mobile source. mobile source sees it as HTTP live stream. Both use H.264 so they just segment and rewrap.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]