FORUMS: list search recent posts

wirecast detect camera but with no preview

COW Forums : Telestream Wirecast

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ichie miller
wirecast detect camera but with no preview
on Apr 25, 2011 at 2:20:42 pm

i have wirecast 4 and i'm using a panasonic pv-gs300. when i connect it to the pc, it is detected but with no preview. after trying several time to turn off, turn on, shut down wirecast and reload. it is then previewing the feed. it seem to work great. when i shut down and bring it back up, the same thing re-Occurs. i cant keep doing this can anyone help?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: wirecast detect camera but with no preview
on Apr 25, 2011 at 2:41:28 pm

What do you mean by "no preview" exactly?
What else do you have on the firewire ports?

Return to posts index

ichie miller
on Apr 25, 2011 at 3:07:24 pm

I'm not using firewire, usb is what I'm using this camera has firewire but it does not work for streaming at all. By preview I mean in the main shot list all that is there is a black shot. When I click the shot there seem to be no feed from the cam. After a few switch on and off as I mentiond before it may or may not show.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 25, 2011 at 3:16:09 pm

So shot is black and when selecting shows no video.

How many devices are on all the USB ports combined?
USB busses have limited bandwidth.

I'd suggest removing all USB peripherals and all USB hubs. Use only the camera and use USB port on the computer. Test that.

Return to posts index

ichie miller
on Apr 25, 2011 at 3:32:41 pm

I only had a mouse in one of 3 usb port, I removed it and its the same result.
I need to add though that flash media encoder does not have this problem at all.
Once I connect the usb cable it detects it right away.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 25, 2011 at 3:48:31 pm

One major difference between FMLE and Wirecast is that Wirecast must see all devices simultaneously since it's a live switcher. That's why I was thinking something else might be on the USB bus impacting this. Apparently that's not the issue in this case.

Make sure you're using Wirecast 4.0.1.
In Sources>Show Source Settings
Try changing the cameras Capture Device Size to Reduced and close and open Wirecast and tell me what happens.

Return to posts index

ichie miller
on Apr 25, 2011 at 5:04:01 pm

Nothing different happend, I just don't understand what could be wrong all the settings are the same as 4hours ago yet still it refuses to work.
I tried changing the aspect ratio also and nothing changed. When I connect the camera then launch wirecast a dialog box appears. It has an area for me to choose the devices and a drop down box for me to assing watever I choose to the device. Also I have the option to delete the device.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 25, 2011 at 5:19:35 pm

[ichie miller] "all the settings are the same as 4hours ago yet still it refuses to work."

Are you saying this was working fine until then?

[ichie miller] " When I connect the camera then launch wirecast a dialog box appears."

What is this dialog box? I don't recall any dialog box appearing when Wirecast 4 opens. An empty project opens unless you have it set to open the last project.

Return to posts index

ichie miller
on Apr 25, 2011 at 5:36:33 pm

I rustled with it, then it started to work, then to ensure that I could use it without a problem later I disconnected it and shut down wirecast. I then brought it back up and once again the same thing.

As for the dialog box; the settings where saved with the camera attached so on execution it said that those devices were not detected.

When I have the camera connected before wirecast reload it just detects everything and no dialog box appears

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 25, 2011 at 6:08:53 pm

[ichie miller] "I rustled with it, then it started to work"

I'm not what you mean by this. Possible intermittent USB cable or port?

[ichie miller] "As for the dialog box; the settings where saved with the camera attached so on execution it said that those devices were not detected."

You can change that in preferences. Basically you're opening the last project but it's no longer detecting the USB camera.

[ichie miller] "When I have the camera connected before wirecast reload it just detects everything and no dialog box appears"

This is confusing in one case you say you're getting a dialog box and another everything is OK if the camera is already hooked up.

It may simply be that if the camera is not hooked up when Wirecast is opened it doesn't automatically detect it when attached after the fact. Please verify that that's what's happening because there are several ways to interpret your posts. You have to be as precise as possible because your are talking to a "blind surgeon" and assumptions can be "dangerous" when trying to trouble shoot an issue.

Return to posts index

ichie miller
on Apr 25, 2011 at 6:29:49 pm

Ok, starting over
1. Connected the camera then loaded wirecast
2. It was showing the black image and not what was being recorded by the cam
3. I checked to see if the cam was being detected.(Yes it was)
4. I tested if the connection was ok; by closing wirecast and tried FMLE. It was working fine
5. Closed FMLE, re opened wirecast, still not working( I disconnected and reconnected the camera as well as reload wirecast after and before I load wirecast)
Still not working.
6. Tried reconnecting again then suddenly I got a feed from the camera. I seemed to be working now.
7. I wanted to ensure that it will work from now on, so I disconnected and reconnected.
8. There goes the problem again.

That's how it all went, and until now its has not worked.
The dialog box thing is as u said, just opening the previous settings.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 25, 2011 at 7:16:10 pm

Thanks for clarifying. It sounds like Wirecast is having a problem detecting the camera for sure. Telestream might want to have a look at this. It's rare that non webcams use live USB out so there may be something they need to look at.

Here's their support link. In the comments area include a link to this thread in Creative Cow so you don't need to retype any of this.
http://www.telestream.net/telestream-support/wire-cast/contact-support.htm

Return to posts index

ichie miller
on Apr 25, 2011 at 10:58:31 pm

Thanks for your efforts

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Apr 26, 2011 at 12:02:58 am

Let me know what they say. I wonder if there's something about how the camera is communicating from the USB port that is confusing Wirecast. This generally doesn't happen from webcams.

If fact if you have a USB webcam you might try that instead. It'll let you know if the issue is specific to the camera and Wirecast or something that might impact other USB devices.

Return to posts index

Gareth Palmer
on Jun 13, 2011 at 12:16:09 pm

I have EXACTLY the same problem. It was using Wirecast 4.0 and had everything going fine, feed from my HDMI capture card + webcam + audio feed. I saved a project, came back later and now everything is black. Any live source I add is showing black but being detected properly.

As with the other user here, FME is working fine x_X very confusing. I have a whole bunch of USB devices but also my internal HDMI capture card is showing black.

Was there any solution to this problem?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 13, 2011 at 3:55:40 pm

[Gareth Palmer] "I have EXACTLY the same problem."
Sorry but I can't make assumptions. Please describe the problem.

[Gareth Palmer] "everything going fine, feed from my HDMI capture card + webcam + audio feed."

The only HDMI card Wirecast officially supports is Blackmagic Intensity Pro. I use Matrox MXO2 on Mac thought without issues. Anything else may result in problems due to any number of reasons from OS to driver updates because Telestream did not use the manufacturer's SDK and the card developer may not take in to account the specific needs for Wirecast compatibility.

If you want help you need to describe your complete config including all software versions.

Return to posts index

Gareth Palmer
on Jun 13, 2011 at 11:53:50 pm

Sorry but I can't make assumptions. Please describe the problem.

As described above almost exactly.
* Installed wirecast
* Added 2 sources (feed from HDMI card, and feed from Webcam on the same shot)
* Added a text bar, 2 images to the same shot
* tested and working
* tested via nicodouga (Japanese site) stream - working fine
* Saved project
* Went to work
* Came home, start wirecast, and all previews are connecting but showing black.

[Gareth Palmer] "everything going fine, feed from my HDMI capture card + webcam + audio feed."

The HDMI capture card I'm using is Japanese called the SkyNETHD Monster X2 HDMI: http://www.sknet-web.co.jp/product/mvx2/

If you want help you need to describe your complete config including all software versions.

Wirecast 4.0.1.

Literally hours between use and it stopped working so no additional drivers were installed, no other software. My only concern is that I logged into my PC from with LogMeIn and it was still working then.

Return to posts index

Gareth Palmer
on Jun 14, 2011 at 12:03:23 am

Wirecast 4.0.1.
Amarec TV (This captures audio and video all in one, I use it to stream to FMLE - which works OK).
Logitech Quickcam 4000

Funnily enough, the software that same with the capture card works fine in Wirecast but Amarec (much better app) and my direct cam feed have stopped working. Odd.

The confusion for me is why it worked perfect, then suddenly, hours later, isn't working and won't work at all x_X

Return to posts index

Gareth Palmer
on Jun 14, 2011 at 1:52:42 am

Ok, turning deinterlacing on both devices seems to have fixed it. I will set up my shots again and let you know :)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 14, 2011 at 4:24:40 am

[Gareth Palmer] "Ok, turning deinterlacing on both devices seems to have fixed it."

So it was on working, off stopped working, on working again. If that's the case then the setting changed. If that's not the case then there's another problem interfering with the use of the card.

The original poster was not using the same card as you so even if the symptoms may seem to be the same the problem may not be. That's why you can't say "exact same problem."

If we both have cars that don't start and yours has no gas and mine has bad starter, they both don't start but they are very different problems.

The only HDMI in card currently officially supported in Wirecast is Blackmagic Intensity Pro. Unlike other software which is single source based, Wirecast must simultaneously see all input sources and be prepared to decode all simultaneously in order to composite in real time. For that reason Telestream works directly with manufacturers and SDKs from them. They've told me that's a difference between an "officially" supported card and one that isn't.

This means if the card isn't officially supported any number of issues or resource conflicts might occur.

BTW I also use a not officially supported HDMI input device (on Mac only), the Matrox MXO2. Others are using AVRMedia cards (on Windows) and having good luck. Generally if you want to use an input card they don't officially support, it's good to stick with what's popular because there are a lot of Wirecast users who have troubleshot the cards. Basically you're taking a risk that something may once again go wrong it'll be hard from most people to help you with it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]