FORUMS: list search recent posts

Panasonic HVX-200A 720 stream via firewire

COW Forums : Telestream Wirecast

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Eisnebach
Panasonic HVX-200A 720 stream via firewire
on Dec 14, 2010 at 2:37:05 pm

I would be happy to receive any kind of information for making the following scenario happen:

Live web streaming with 1 camera (Panasonic HVX 200A) In 720 format. The camera supports 720p(24p/30p/60p)

Latest PC laptop (i7 X920 processor/8gb RAM/firewire 400/express card slot/USB 3.0/ e-sata)

I tried the latest Wirecast trial, but I can't make it work via firewire in any of the above 720p modes. I always get a black screen.
I tried it with the same camera in SD mode via firewire and it works fine with Wirecast.

I tried telstream support, but only very vague answers which didn't solve the problem.

If 720p firewire stream from this camera doesn't work with Wirecast, the camera also has analog composite and component outputs.

Does anyone have experience with Panasonic's 720p over firewire and wirecast?

Any other ideas how to get my 720 signal into wirecast?

Any suggestions for a capture card that works with a laptop and Wirecast?

Black magic's Intensity shuttle (USB3)?

Thanks to all of you!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Panasonic HVX-200A 720 stream via firewire
on Dec 14, 2010 at 3:01:37 pm

Wirecast doesn't support DVCProHD over firewire.
Blackmagic Intensity Pro supports component in but that'll only help with desktop.
The Shuttle, while being USB3, only worked with a specific model of HP Envy laptop which is no longer made. If you look at the Blackmagic site they state the Shuttle will not work with USB3 Express port adaptors as the throughput isn't fast enough.
http://www.blackmagic-design.com/support/detail.asp?techID=201

Can I use a USB 3.0 ExpressCard in my Mac or Windows notebook?

ExpressCards for notebooks are not supported and will not work. The bandwidth they currently support is not suitable for Intensity Shuttle, UltraStudio Pro or Pocket UltraScope.

BTW do you have the bandwidth to stream HD and do your potential viewers have the bandwidth to view HD live streams? HD streaming is still rare these days.

Basically solutions on the market these days center around HDMI as Grass Valley ADVC-HD50 will convert HDMI to HDV on firewire on any computer and MXO2mini will take HDMI in to PCIe desktop and Express port laptop on the Mac.

Return to posts index

Michael Eisnebach
on Dec 14, 2010 at 3:22:31 pm

Thanks for the swift reply!
Actually my laptop has a native USB 3.0 port (not via express card) and also has the required X58 chipset.
(Sager np7280s1)
So from the USB 3.0 requirement viewpoint it should work.

Did I understand you right that Wirecast and the Blackmagic intensity shuttle worked together on the HP envy laptop?

Yes, I have 2.5 Mbit dedicated upload bandwidth and also users who ask for Hd like live video.

Thanks for any more advice how to get my DVCPRO HD stream into my PC laptop!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 14, 2010 at 3:55:06 pm

Double check with Blackmagic about the Shuttle as they've said frequently that only the HP Envy worked and that the specific model has been discontinued and not replaced.

That said, it might be worth trying the Shuttle as long as you can return it.
What model laptop do you have?

Wirecast officially supports Blackmagic Intensity Pro, SDI, Duo cards. I know people who have used the Shuttle on desktop with USB3 PCIe card with Wirecast but haven't heard about laptops.

The Shuttle doesn't seem to get along with other cards installed but that wouldn't be an issue with a laptop. Again, BMD has said the only laptop the Shuttle worked with was a specific Envy so you really need to contact them. If you/they can confirm the Shuttle works with your laptop (test with Adobe FMLE for example) then it certainly would be worth trying with Wirecast. I believe Telestream may be testing the Shuttle.

2.5Mbit up would be fast enough for 720p HD and if your viewers can handle that you'd be good to go.

Return to posts index

Michael Eisnebach
on Dec 14, 2010 at 4:37:41 pm

Thanks,
I' ll check with Black Magic support about my laptop.

here the laptop model:

Sager NP 7280
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np7280s1-built-clevo-x7200-p-2935.html

What is your recommended bit-rate for 720 h264 live streaming?
You tube HD on demand streaming starts around 800 kbit/s, I think.
Does wirecast produce comparable quality (H264)at same bit rate like for example Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 produces in 1 Pass/ CBR?

Would around 1Mbit be enough for wirecast to produce decent quality?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 14, 2010 at 4:52:06 pm

Very impressive looking. I'd love to know if the Shuttle works with the USB3 port. It looks like a new model and given the brand isn't a "household" name, Blackmagic may not be aware of it yet. Do contact them.

Wirecast 4 uses the same MainConcept H.264 codec as Adobe Flash Media Live encoder so quality should be comparable.

The best bit rate depends on a few factors. Content is critical. Fast motion requires more bits than talking heads. Fewer frames improves bits per pixel count. Basically a 720p24 live stream will look better than 720p60 at the same bit rate. I've seen 720p streams range from 1000kbps to 1700kbps give or take. The bit rate may depend on whether you're streaming panel discussions (lower is OK) or sports (higher is a must).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]