FORUMS: list search recent posts

multi camera device for Mac mini

COW Forums : Telestream Wirecast

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Gorman
multi camera device for Mac mini
on Aug 12, 2010 at 10:55:08 pm

I am looking for a solution which will allow remote switching between three video cameras during a live webcast. The idea is to VNC (or Go to my PC or any other remote desktop app) to a Mac mini and switch between each camera using Wirecast.

Therefore can anyone recommend a device that will take three component video inputs (even composite would be acceptable) which will be compatible to plug in to a Mac mini. For audio I can use the Mac's standard line input.

I am using Wowza 2.0 to distribute the 280kb 640x360 pixel live stream to the live webcast audience. I am trying to stay away from PC because I am looking for reliability.

The input to the Mac mini from the device can be obviously USB or Firewire.

Any feedback or improvements to my solution would be appreciated.

fudd

Return to posts index

steve conway
Re: multi camera device for Mac mini
on Aug 20, 2010 at 6:33:29 pm

On its website Telesteam says:
...You can connect up to two DV camcorders per Firewire bus. Most laptops even if they may have two or more firewire ports they are likely sharing one single Firewire bus. (The bus is where the Firewire connectors attach to the motherboard)...
l
I haven't tried this yet but would be realy interested in switching 2 cameras using a Macbook Pro 2.2Ghz

steve

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 20, 2010 at 7:02:30 pm

2 cameras on one firewire bus is risky business. Sometimes it works, sometimes not, sometimes it works for a while and then doesn't.

The problem is in how the camera manufacture implemented their firewire port communications. The reason why it may work sometimes and not others with the same two cameras is that with each time one hooks up there's a random chance that the communication is slightly difference (information going back and forth on the bus at a given moment).

Multiports on laptops are almost always on a single bus. Express port allows one to add another firewire bus.

Return to posts index

steve conway
on Aug 21, 2010 at 9:54:47 pm

Thanks. The ExpressCard/34 on my Macbook Pro should do the trick then.

steve

Return to posts index

steve conway
on Aug 24, 2010 at 8:11:09 pm

I am surprised that its been a little more difficult than I expected finding a firewire (400)ExpressCard/34 for my Macbook Pro (2.2 Ghz 4Mb ram)

steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]