FORUMS: list search recent posts

Live streaming

COW Forums : Telestream Wirecast

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Mack
Live streaming
on Jan 12, 2009 at 5:28:51 am

I have been waiting for this forum to develop. I guess I will ask the question and hope for an answer.

I am interested in multi cam live switching and I see wirecast supports multiple cameras. How does this work?

Jeff

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Live streaming
on Jan 12, 2009 at 8:03:44 pm

Wirecast can work like a video switcher. You can input cameras into your computer. The number of cameras depends on computer setup. Ideally separate firewire busses but several people have reported being able to put two DV cameras on one buss though.

Wirecast has "layers" which allows separate control of video, audio, titles, etc. You can then create "channels" (sort of like an ME on a switcher) and transition between them. There's also an assortment of filters and the ability to do "ADO" like positioning so that you can have three cameras (or other images such as pre recorded video) on screen in various sizes for example.

Telestream has free Mac and Windows demos. It's Watermarked and a voice reminds you it's a demo every few seconds but you can certainly try out a setup and actually test a stream.

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Jan 13, 2009 at 1:03:04 am

Thanks for the response Craig. How about upload speeds? If I want to offer my clients a live stream from their site and they have DSL, is that sufficient for 1 or two cameras? How about native HDV? Also, I suppose I need a streaming provider?

Could you briefly explain the workflow IE: attach two cams and set up layers. Make graphics ahead of time. Connect to client dsl. Send feed to streaming provider. (Do I make a web page and insert code or is the page stored on their site?)

Jeff

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 13, 2009 at 1:32:31 am

[Jeff Mack] "Thanks for the response Craig. How about upload speeds? If I want to offer my clients a live stream from their site and they have DSL, is that sufficient for 1 or two cameras? How about native HDV? Also, I suppose I need a streaming provider? "

You can stream from your desktop. There's an internal server feature. Of course that won't sustain many viewers and the number of viewers is dependent on the speed too.

The file is compressed and sent so number of cameras is more an issue of what you computer can handle than anything regarding the stream.

[Jeff Mack] "Could you briefly explain the workflow IE: attach two cams and set up layers. Make graphics ahead of time. Connect to client dsl. Send feed to streaming provider"

Hmm, the short answer is yes. I don't get the "connect to client dsl" though. Client uses whatever they want to view but you'll have to send a lower data rate file if they have a slower connections. You can certainly send to a streaming provider which will probably have significant capacity if you expect a significant audience.

[Jeff Mack] "(Do I make a web page and insert code or is the page stored on their site?) "

Wirecast saves a pointer file which you can embed in a web page or send via email and the person can click on it and it'll open in Quicktime.

I've been thinking of making Wirecast tutorials but I did find this on the web which might give an idea of how it works.

Of course download the free trial and play. The manual is a bit "rough" in my opinion though. I hope Telestream updates it.

http://www.soundscreen.com/streaming/webcast/wirecast_tutorial/

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Jan 13, 2009 at 3:32:49 am

Thanks Craig, I'll view the link and download. What I meant by clients connection is I am thinking of a mobile live broadcast business. I go to a club say, connect up, get onto the club's dsl and I'm off. Right now, I am thinking of one camera (Z-1 connected to my miranda AD converter on a 50 foot bnc to my IOHD and finally to my MBP then to airport wireless to clubs dsl.

What do you think?

Jeff

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 13, 2009 at 6:14:22 pm

With DSL upload you might be limited in the data rate you send but it should work. DSL connection speeds vary widely so you should do an upload speed test on location.

This is a good speed test site
http://www.speedtest.net/index.php

If you're using a Sony Z1 you could buy the HDV plugin for Wirecast and just go firewire in. Of course if you need the wires to run 50 feet . . . I would do a test with the AJA IO HD first just to make sure there are no kinks in the workflow. It may depending what you're having the AJA encode to because that's what will ultimately be fed to Wirecast and your MBP will be doing real time compression. DV in might be the least stress on the MBP.

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Jan 24, 2009 at 2:08:27 am

Craig,

One last question. If I have a setup for a live broadcast at a music studio and I come to a break, can I insert a commercial off of my FCP timeline or load a .mov into wirecast and have that audio take over so I can talk in the studio during the break and then switch back live?
I am downloading now.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 28, 2009 at 2:14:40 am

Wirecast certainly allows you to import video and audio. Think of it as like a switcher (both video and audio) with busses.

Return to posts index

Rico Mok
on Jan 29, 2009 at 2:30:49 am

Dear all,

First of all I want to thank both of you two for all the post it help me allot, .

But i want to ask a few question regarding wirecast and a live shoot set up, at the moment, our school is setting up a live streaming project, mainly for sport and special events, and also we wanted a full HD work flow, the HD version will be saved locally and also sending a stream out with wirecast.

Here are the few problem that i am running into. we are currently planing to have a 4 hdv cam including two which has hd/sdi setup, but our main challenge is to get all these 4 cams connected to our main controlling MACPRO, hence we are setting it up on a football field and a large gym. using firewire is just not ideal, hence we need allot of repeater and also the wiring need to be underground so in this case it wont work.

So here my solution which i do not know will it work or not, for the first 2 to cam, Canon's G1, with hd/sdi will be connected to a hd/sdi pci-e card, but as some member in the wirecast forum has mention they are having a trouble to do so. I am hoping they will fix it soon, or i need a workaround, as I heard you guys are using the AJA convertor box, it sound quite interesting but then it again introduce new problem, first of all as you had said, it creates a 2 sec dely would this mean it wont be in sync for my other 2 firewire cam connected, also will wirecast recognize 2 input from the single firewire which is outputting from the AJA when 2 HD/sdi is connected.

Hence this AJA is a very powerful and yet expensive is there a cheaper product that will simply feed the input instead of doing all the compression which the AJA is made for. and for the other 2 cam it will be the consumer HDV shooting wide, for those cam i am planning to use a firewire to fiber optics converter box, i have tired search google, but there dont seems to be answer whether it will work or not.

or is there other easier and cheaper solution.

Thanks Billy

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Jan 29, 2009 at 4:41:23 pm

Billy, I did my tests last night. First of all, I downloaded the trial version of wirecast. That has the HDV plugin. I connected 2 hdsdi cameras to my IOHD and only one cam shows up in wirecast. If I leave the aja control pane open, i can toggle between cam 1 and 2. This a very poor boy way of doing a 2 cam shoot through wirecast. In my case though, I can't afford the alternative which is a tricasterfor $5K. That's what you need to look into.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Rico Mok
on Jan 29, 2009 at 4:54:32 pm

thanks for you quick reply, First of all if the AJA need to be switched in its own control panel, that would won't quite work for our purpose. But i have seen both Black-magic design, and AJA had made some hd-sdi input cards, on wirecast site it even said it supports it, but i cant find any information regarding to these product in conjunction with wirecast.

I am just curious, how can you afford that AJA but not a tricaster dont they cost about the same, and also i do not really want to use tricaster because i think it does not have hd-sdi and only s-video, we want to achieve a full HD workflow.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Jan 29, 2009 at 5:09:59 pm

I owned the IOHD before I had the need for a switcher. I was just trying to utilize the 2 SDI inputs and Wirecast. The Tricaster Pro has 6 DI in's. That's about $7K.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Rico Mok
on Jan 29, 2009 at 5:21:02 pm

oh thanks for you info, but I have checked tricaster do not support HD in put, the reason we want to use wirecast is that they can record a HD copy for archive.

Return to posts index

arthur jacobitti
on Jan 31, 2009 at 3:10:25 pm

Hi,

I do not know if this is the proper forum but:
I am looking for an app that allows me to record/capture the screen (video) so I may make turotials, etc.
Has anyone used a GOOD app that does this?

thanks,

art

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Screen Capture
on Jan 31, 2009 at 5:02:44 pm

Actually same company different app.
Try this
ScreenFlow
I'm actually starting to use it to post video/tutorial responses here at the COW.
You can capture a desktop as well as record from camera for picture in picture. While it's Mac specific you can run Windows in Parallels on Fusion on the Mac and ScreenFlow will capture it.

Wirecast can do screen capture with Desktop Presenter but it's not going to match the flexibility of a program specifically designed for screen capture and tutorial editing like ScreenFlow. Both were by Varasoft but Telestream bought the company.

BTW when I get the chance I'll probably use ScreenFlow to create a few Wirecast tutorials to post here.

Return to posts index

Paul Longstreth
Questions, questions...
on Sep 25, 2009 at 6:36:45 pm

I stumbled upon this thread and will ask a couple questions BEFORE I start looking for answers within this forum. Sorry if the answers are right under my nose - as they usually seem to be!

I'm a piano player looking to use UStream to broadcast live piano/voice performances. When I'm home, I'll do this from my living room, but it's also important for me to be able to set up a portable broadcast when I travel.

Also, I'm interested in producing pre-recorded as well as live piano tutorials.

My laptop info:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz

Re: AUDIO, I will sacrifice video for great sound. At home I have access to great mics, but on the road, I'd like something portable and sturdy.

Re: VIDEO...don't know where to begin! If using iSight is possible, I'd begin there. If however, there are other affordable options, I'd consider a better camera.

Any suggestions for a quick start-up studio? Forgive me if there is a better place to post this question. Advise me!

Thanks,
Paul

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Craig Seeman
Re: Questions, questions...
on Sep 25, 2009 at 8:57:47 pm

The "sky" is the limit or at least your credit worthiness.

[Paul Longstreth] "Re: AUDIO, I will sacrifice video for great sound. At home I have access to great mics, but on the road, I'd like something portable and sturdy. "

You can buy a very high end condenser and a good XLR to USB adaptor.

[Paul Longstreth] "Re: VIDEO...don't know where to begin! If using iSight is possible, I'd begin there. If however, there are other affordable options, I'd consider a better camera. "
iSight will work but not very good quality. Get a good DV camera.

If you get a good DV Camera with XLR in and phantom power you can feed the mic into the camera and that will ensure sync since it's all going through the same clock. Cameras with two XLR ins would allow you to set up a stereo recording.

Keep in mind that your overall quality is limited by the stream itself. Ustream free service probably maxs out at about 700kbps combined video and audio give or take. A paid Watershed account will allow you to stream HD at data rates higher than many people can play though.

Return to posts index

Melvin Dichoso
on Oct 13, 2010 at 9:02:05 am

Yes wirecast supports it but the way they do it is kinda odd. Its also not that flexible as you can just do limited things with it.

right now im using a beta program called as XSplit Broadcastr and so far i find it perfect for live camera switching. its very flexible to use since you can move things on your stage. i think their in beta right now so you have to sign up first to their beta program here http://www.xsplit.com/

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 13, 2010 at 11:52:03 pm

[Melvin Dichoso] "Yes wirecast supports it but the way they do it is kinda odd. Its also not that flexible as you can just do limited things with it."

Hard to make such claim when XSplit is in beta and has no publicly listed feature set, no product announcement, etc.

Wirecast can handles as many sources as your computer itself can handle. Each shot can have layered, graphics, chroma key or Picture In Picture (up to three simultaneous sources plus background).

Return to posts index

Melvin Dichoso
on Oct 18, 2010 at 9:47:49 am

I'm not claiming that XSplit Broadcaster is perfect because its not, thats why its still in BETA. What I'm saying is that I always have a hard time with Wirecast with the way its interface looks (maybe they improved it in wirecast 4) and it has not really performed well with my full screen broadcasts (such as games and etc.) It's a good product but maybe it doesn't just suit me.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 18, 2010 at 1:04:56 pm

You're not articulating any issues.
Wirecast works like a switcher with layers much like any other switcher with layers.
Games use major amount of system resources so you have to know how to manage those resources. You have to know how to adjust settings for best results.

Have you asked anyone for help? Have you attempted to describe any issues with any detail?

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Oct 18, 2010 at 1:12:07 pm

Have you asked anyone for help? Have you attempted to describe any issues with any detail?

You have got to be kidding Craig! Getting help for Wirecast issues is like beating your head against the wall. I NEVER get answers. I also signed up for the beta and had a paid shoot I was doing. I called them and noticed some problems with the Beta version so I called them again and told them I couldn't afford a problem on my shoot and they suggested not using it since it was so unstable. I have never seen a situation where they would try to make it better and actually made it worse. They seem to be nice people but don't have a clue about this product. They told me they purchased this product in the hopes to add it to their own line of products. Shame they can't get it figured out.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 18, 2010 at 1:50:29 pm

[Jeff Mack] " I NEVER get answers."

I know most of the people in both customer support and programing and they generally respond within one day and sometimes within minutes. Worse case scenario might be two days or so if it's pertaining to a new update as there's lots of questions around that time.

[Jeff Mack] ". I called them and noticed some problems with the Beta version so I called them again and told them I couldn't afford a problem on my shoot and they suggested not using it since it was so unstable."

Why would you use a beta on job? It's a beta . . . as in still being tested, under development, for public testing and feedback, not for work. If there's a question it means they must investigate why something isn't working. Beta is research. The answer is the RELEASED product.

[Jeff Mack] "I have never seen a situation where they would try to make it better and actually made it worse."

Most reports on the news features have been very good. Of course people want more features and they continue to work on them. I'm also a beta tester and there are many things that are both better and now working that didn't in previous versions.

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on Oct 18, 2010 at 2:58:24 pm

Don't mean to be confrontational here Craig but I am not exagerating when I say I NEVER get a response from the tech support people. That's why I have to call and then when I do, I get no results. I have all of my emails saved to prove that. I would be happy to worward them and check against their outgoing responses. I realize a beta is for testing. I assumed it would be better than the 3.5.8. If you read their documentation, loading the beta actually replaces the old version. You can't operate both versions. That's why I called Telestream, to ask them if I could run both. I was told to NOT USE THE BETA. The guy in tech support said it didn't work. His words not mine. I had to uninstall then reinstall the 3.5.8.

I don't know what your affiliation with Telestream is Craig, but it is obvious that you are a homer. I think you should be more objectionable to the negative comments and if you are in a position to help Telestream by following up, you should do that vs always assuming the complainant is wrong. Just my feelings and not intended to bash you or Telestream.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 18, 2010 at 3:45:03 pm

I have no problem running both the beta and the release version. I just put the beta in a folder in my Applications folder. Perhaps there are conflicts I'm unaware of but I've got both running on both 10.6.4 and 10.5.8 systems. If their tech support said not to use it, I can understand as it's a beta after all. I've seen any issues with their response time. Sometimes they may respond that they're investigating which is an honest response with an issue.

If you genuinely aren't getting a response from them, post here. You'll get responses from other users as well as me.

I use a lot of different streaming applications depending on what's called for, Adobe FMLE on both Mac and Windows (I was a Mac beta tester for that as well). Livestream Procaster (and I've beta tested that too). I've also used CamTwist. I've played with VidBlaster a bit and wasn't crazy about it compared to Wirecast but it's serviceable as well. Overall, I find Wirecast is the most flexible but each of the others have specific advantages and that's why I use ALL of them.

Return to posts index

ian clark
on Jan 27, 2011 at 6:00:15 pm

I use FMLE and Wirecast on PC. I can get all my sources recognised in Wirecast ie Cameras and external players like ipod/HDMI cam/Fibre Optic via Blackmagic card. When I go to FMLE these inputs are not recognised. I have had them all working before.
I have 3 blackmagic cards installed. 2 Decklinks and one Fibre Optic. I use an HDlink to monitor inputs and that is fine. All devices are being converted to SDI.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 27, 2011 at 6:08:55 pm

Hmm, I think you should have started a new thread. No one other than me as COW forum capo would find this.

Make sure Wirecast is 4.0.1 and FMLE is 3.2.
Source can only be in one place or another so you can only have one application that uses sources at any given time. You may need to reboot your computer and reopen FMLE.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Oct 18, 2010 at 7:31:10 pm

[Jeff Mack] "am not exagerating when I say I NEVER get a response from the tech support people."

I've contacted Telestream support and they've answered the questions they have records of. Contact has been varyingly by email and phone. If there were any questions they did not respond to, if you give me your email, I can give you an email to send them to and I'll get them in front of eyeballs.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]