FORUMS: list search recent posts

Looking at buying wirecast...

COW Forums : Telestream Wirecast

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
joseph wilkins
Looking at buying wirecast...
on May 4, 2010 at 1:59:18 am

Can wirecast take my 3 HD cameras and let me live switch between 3 cameras to result in a 1080p QuickTime movie captured to my HD?

No streaming needed... Just recording a live event and wanting to switch live between 3 cameras.. Sony ex1, panasonic hvx200 and canon 5d mk ii

thanks

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
Re: Looking at buying wirecast...
on May 4, 2010 at 8:57:07 pm

Try the demo version (watermarked audio and video) before you buy. Wirecast is cool but a lot of issues when you get to the pro side of things involving camera control, ESPECIALLY from a laptop. If you are on a tower with a lot of beef, maybe not a problem.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 4, 2010 at 9:05:23 pm

I have no problem using XDCAM EX1 HD-SDI out to MXO2 to 15" MacBookPro early 2008. A laptop might not handle sending multiple streams and recording to hard drive at the same time but that's not a Wirecast issue so much as the laptop's capabilities.

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on May 4, 2010 at 9:35:25 pm

Craig, one of the things I have come to rely on is the output statistics with WIrecast. I am on a MBP 2.16 with 2 gigs of ram. It's about 5 years old so maybe it is my MBP. I am on snow leopard and when I have my Z1 connected via firewire, I see the out put stats go from 60# to 90% simply by opening safari to do a UStream broadcast. Once I am connected to Ustream, I minimize Safari and I drop back down to 60%. If I try and connect a firewire ISight camera for my second camera, I lose control of that camera - can't change the audio layer to the Z-1/ Basically if I want the z-1 audio live all the time, when I select the ISight, it uses it's own audio, regardless of my settings choices. If I use my IOHD and select it as a source, I forever get locked up and get kernal panics. My personal experience with my laptop is I can only use the Z-1 in HDV mode and output 320 x 180 without dropping frames and forget about recording H264 to my drive at the same time. I look forward to the upgrade in June. I have heard better reviews of Boinx but can't afford another investment.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 4, 2010 at 9:58:55 pm

[Jeff Mack] "It's about 5 years old so maybe it is my MBP."
Yikes! That's ancient. My early 2008 is just about passable barely. I don't expect anyone putting together a Wirecast laptop system to be doing in an early MBP. Ustream's studio itself, with it's flash based interface, can chew through the CPU.

[Jeff Mack] " lose control of that camera - can't change the audio layer to the Z-1/ Basically if I want the z-1 audio live all the time, when I select the ISight,"
You're probably not setting up your shots correctly. You need to kill the Z1 audio using the Plaback tab in the Shot Editor. It's not obvious but that's how to kill camera audio for a shot.

[Jeff Mack] "If I use my IOHD and select it as a source, I forever get locked up and get kernal panics."
Your laptop probably can't handle all this. Kernal Panics mean there's a fundamental incompatibility almost always hardware related.

[Jeff Mack] "My personal experience with my laptop is I can only use the Z-1 in HDV mode "
If you're not streaming HD, HDV is the best way to torture your CPU. It takes major resources to decode. Given your laptop's description you shouldn't go near HD for streaming.

Boinx can't encode at all and it's a major resource hog. Wirecast uses much less CPU/GPU resources.
I really don't think you're taking full advantage of Wirecast layers, which is much easier to use than Boinx. You can't compose shots in Boinx like you can in Wirecast. If your laptop is having a hard time with Wirecast you can completely skip Boinx because it needs more computer power plus you'd need to run a screengrabber and then you need to send the screengrabber to an encoder. Boinx is nothing more than a switcher (lots of layers though) with no ability to create separate shots.

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on May 4, 2010 at 10:09:30 pm

Yeah, I know I'm ancient LOL! I mentioned it might be my setup. Unfortunately I don't have a way to tell. I did kill the audio (you meant to say on the ISight correct?) Anyway, I (personally with MY system) have an inordinate amount of crashes to the point I can't rely on anything above that 320x180 encode.

No way for me to figure it out since I don't have another mac.

Jeff

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 4, 2010 at 10:20:17 pm

It may be time for a new computer. Generally I look to replace a computer every 30 months (2.5 years) although I try to wait after WWDC to see if anything major is happening. The new i5 and i7 Mac laptops look pretty good although I do wish they'd move the Express port back to a 15" model.

[Jeff Mack] "you meant to say on the ISight correct?"
Yes, to kill the audio. The firewire iSight seems to be more like a firewire camera than a webcam. A webcam would just require killing the audio layer.

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on May 4, 2010 at 10:33:28 pm

So remind me exactly how to kill the audio again? Maybe I wasn't doing it right. I think I was though.

One last question, I am wanting to send dv out of my z1 into wirecast to lower the tasking on my laptop but I am having this problem as described below. I just posted this on a Z-1 forum on DVInfo.net

I use Wirecast to stream from my Z-1. To use fewer resources on my laptop, (MBP 2.16 2 GB ram) I want to stream dv through firewire while archiving to tape in HDV. This might be a Wirecast problem but before I connect firewire to my MBP or my camera, I do the DV output through firewire on my settings. The blue light switches to DV on the firewire output while the tape logo still shows HDV (still set to record 1080i). I then connect the firewire and open Wirecast. I see the camera in the shot list ad DV (used to say HDV) however, when I click on the shot, it won't send the picture. The screen remains blue. My lcd has a picture. I shut down Wirecast, disconnect the cable, change the recording format to dv, plug the cable back in and turn on WIrecast and I then get a picture on the shot. I don't know if this is the camera function or Wirecast.

Any Comments?

Jeff

Return to posts index

Jeff Mack
on May 4, 2010 at 10:34:35 pm

So remind me exactly how to kill the audio again? Maybe I wasn't doing it right. I think I was though.

One last question, I am wanting to send dv out of my z1 into wirecast to lower the tasking on my laptop but I am having this problem as described below. I just posted this on a Z-1 forum on another forum:

I use Wirecast to stream from my Z-1. To use fewer resources on my laptop, (MBP 2.16 2 GB ram) I want to stream dv through firewire while archiving to tape in HDV. This might be a Wirecast problem but before I connect firewire to my MBP or my camera, I do the DV output through firewire on my settings. The blue light switches to DV on the firewire output while the tape logo still shows HDV (still set to record 1080i). I then connect the firewire and open Wirecast. I see the camera in the shot list ad DV (used to say HDV) however, when I click on the shot, it won't send the picture. The screen remains blue. My lcd has a picture. I shut down Wirecast, disconnect the cable, change the recording format to dv, plug the cable back in and turn on WIrecast and I then get a picture on the shot. I don't know if this is the camera function or Wirecast.

Any Comments?

Jeff

Return to posts index

christopher rogers
on Jun 18, 2010 at 2:56:27 pm

hi, I just bought the canon 5d mark 2 and a qosmio 808, adobe production suite cs5 and want to start casting with wirecast is there anything I should know here in vegas cheers kit rogers

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 18, 2010 at 3:42:11 pm

Please don't double post. Wouldn't it have been easier to start your own thread so people could respond? Please look at your other post for my response.

Return to posts index

christopher rogers
on Jul 16, 2010 at 4:43:04 pm

i have no idea what you are talking about

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 16, 2010 at 5:08:35 pm

Maybe not truly a double post but you posted this at the same time.

http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/260/190

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]