FORUMS: list search recent posts

Skype window insert

COW Forums : Telestream Wirecast

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anthony Faulkner
Skype window insert
on Dec 18, 2009 at 2:15:13 am

Hi there,

I saw on a previous post Craig had said it is possible to insert a skype window into a wirecast broadcast. Would it be possible if you could elaborate on the steps involved in that process?

Thanks

Anthony

Return to posts index

Paul Collins
Re: Skype window insert
on Jan 10, 2010 at 2:19:42 am

Randall Bennett of TechVI runs Skype on separate computer(s) and picks it up on his Wirecast machine via Desktop Presenter: How TechVi Gets Produced

Web/cablecasting: http://ashlandtv20.com
Software Development: http://www.gracion.com

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Craig Seeman
on Jan 10, 2010 at 6:48:03 pm

There's a short simple way if you're on a Mac.
You can take a Skype Video call on same computer that you stream from.

Open Skype.
Mic input to Skype.
Set SoundFlower (Free utility) as the Audio Output device.
Take Skype Video Call.
Point Desktop Presenter to Skype Video window.
Wirecast will now see the Video from DTP and the Audio from SoundFlower.
Use SoundFlowerBed (free with SoundFlower) to send audio to your headphones.

You can person can talk on Skype without lag.
You can create a two shot in Wirecast.
This allows you to do one one one guest interviews.

Important Notes:

You must make sure that your video camera shows in Wirecast. Skype my grab it so you actually have to make sure Skype is NOT seeing your video cam (yes your guest can't see you but you can see them). There is a workaround with ManyCam (also free but I'm not happy with the frame rate).

You must monitor Skype on your headphones and not monitor Wirecast audio (but watch the meters though otherwise you'll hear lag, echo, etc.)

Unlike DTP, SoundFlower does not work on LAN so this only works when the call is on the same computer. There is a utility called "SoundFly" I believe which can send on LAN but I haven't tested it.

On Windows I believe Virtual Audio Cables works similar to SoundFlower but it's not free. I haven't tested this personally.

Alternatives to explore:
I am also testing on Mac, Virtual Machines (Parallels and Windows XP) in which each Virtual OS can run Skype Video and Desktop Presenter. SoundFlower seems to send the audio as well. Issues I haven't worked around though is for all callers to be able to talk to each other as I can't send audio to all Virtual OS, only receive.

Of course with iChatAV one can have four way video on the Mac (only two if a Windows AIM user is involved so that's no better than Skype.

There's also Oovoo which allows up to six way video conversation but it's 10¢ a minute for each person over 2. Oovoo does not require each person to have an account as the have a "web video" invite feature.

Stickcam I believe allows 12 way video chat so one can point DTP and SoundFlower and send to Wirecast but that requires setting up SoundFlower as audio input in System Preferences, everyone getting Stickam accounts, probably frame rates wouldn't be very good.

TechTV's method is the "traditional" "skypesarus" method which is separate computer for each Skype Video and hardwired audio out to a mixing board with mix minus sent back to each computer. Many people use this but you need to have the computers and the mixing board with the aux sends. People can build/buy Skype dedicated computers for around $200 each and the mixing board he uses is around $500 I believe. When you consider the total cost can be over $1000 one might think about the other alternatives.

Return to posts index

anthony Faulkner
on Jan 15, 2010 at 8:26:15 am

Thanks for the responses, that is quite an in depth reply, actually due to other deadlines i haven't done much with this. But i will be getting around to it soon. Ill post up my results.

Actually I haven't been able to get wirecast to recognise my camera. (EX-3) the cables i have are all 4 pin to 6 pin firewire cables. should i be using something else?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 15, 2010 at 6:32:11 pm

I have Sony EX-1. You must make sure you're in SP (HDV) not HQ (XDCAM) mode and that iLink out is turned on. One quick check is to see Final Cut Pro can see it as an "uncontrolled" input. If not, then check your camera setups.

Return to posts index

Jerry Kay
on Jan 26, 2010 at 6:17:22 pm

Craig, I am having issues regarding doing a Skype video interview. Audio is the primary problem we are having. My goal is to record a skype interview with one person. I read the post which says...open skype (done)...Mic input to skype (done). Set Soundflower as the audio output device. The settings are for soundflower 2ch or 16 ch. Which one is correct? Next, use Soundflowerbed to send audio to your headphones. The options are Soundflower 2ch then there is a pulldown which leads to channel 1 or 2 built in output. Which is correct? Then I go to Skype call in Wirecast and click on audio for the skype call and there is no audio. I think wirecast is incredible. Skype interviews (for a certain user) is a wonderful option. I am hoping someone can provide a tutorial which helps us take advantage of this. If there is anyone who I could speak with on this topic I would be most appreciative.

Return to posts index

Jerry Kay
So close on wirecast skype call
on Jan 27, 2010 at 7:31:16 pm

My last issue is echo on audio. Below are the settings I am using. Can someone review these settings and let me know where I am going wrong. Thanks.
Jerry

WIRECAST SETTINGS
1. EDIT DESKTOP PRESENTER SHOT (WHICH IS THE SKYPE SHOT) AND SET AUDIO TO SOUNDFLOWER CHANNEL 2

2. ISHIGHT CAMERA…EDIT SHOT AND SET THE AUDIO TO USB AUDIO MIC

SKYPE SETTINGS PREFERENCES
AUDIO OUT SET TO SOUNDFLOWR CHANNEL 2
AUDIO IN SET TO USB MIC

SOUNDBED SETTINGS
UNDER THE SOUNDFLOWER CH 2 AREA SET TO USB MIC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]