FORUMS: list search recent posts

5500 NTSC downconvert

COW Forums : Sony SRW Decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bram Tulloch
5500 NTSC downconvert
on Jun 4, 2009 at 1:58:26 am

Hey,

We have a 5500 deck with all the bells and whistles (Format converter, downconverter, 4:4:4 board etc)

We're wanting to do an insert edit from HD 23.98 material onto a NTSC digital betacam tape.

Obviously the timecodes (29.97 vs 23.98) don't match, so every time I go to "auto-edit" it pre-rolls, then fails at the in-point. Or alternatively, it plays out, it's in accurate. (e.g. the in-point of video is correct, but there's 5 frames missing from the head)

Any suggestions to get around this?

We're thinking that we somehow need to get the NTSC digi deck to read the timecode from the SDI stream and NOT the deck control, but we can't find a setting to do this.

Is it possible our NTSC deck is too old to have this feature? (i.e. to use the SDI timecode) It's a DVW-500 deck.

I'm hoping that this is either a common problem, or we've just got our set-up wrong somehow.

Thanks for any input.

Bram

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
Re: 5500 NTSC downconvert
on Jun 4, 2009 at 5:35:29 pm

[Bram Tulloch] "We're thinking that we somehow need to get the NTSC digi deck to read the timecode from the SDI stream and NOT the deck control, but we can't find a setting to do this."

I do not believe that in auto-edit mode with machine-to-machine editing that TC can be sensed from anywhere but the serial 9pin connection.

[Bram Tulloch] "Any suggestions to get around this?"

I have a 5500 and a DVW but don't have the FC option card. That said, here's what I would try:

Make sure you're feeding the 5500 a tri-level sync signal of 1080/23.976 PsF to Ref Input 1. Feed a synchronized blackburst sync signal (480/29.97i) to Ref Input 2. Feed that same blackburst to the Ref Input of the DVW. Connect your 9pin together. In the VTR Setup of the 5500, make sure the FC sync is set to external SD and that A05 is set to Lock2. A10 should be set to FC/30F so that any requests over 9pin are returned the format-converted timecode signal (29.97 TC). Make sure also that the FC is set for drop or non-drop, depending on your digibeta's timecode. Also, set the preroll time for both machines to 7 seconds or more - the format conversion takes a little longer to lock.

This is all that I have gleaned from the 5500 operation manual, and is a procedure I have not used, but according to the manual and my inferences should work. Please let us know if this works - good luck.

Return to posts index

Bram Tulloch
on Jun 12, 2009 at 3:05:29 am

"A10 should be set to FC/30F so that any requests over 9pin are returned the format-converted timecode signal (29.97 TC)."

This was the only setting I needed to change to get it to work.

Thanks for your help!

Bram

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Jun 12, 2009 at 3:07:41 am

Great - glad it worked. And good to know (for me) for future work...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]