FORUMS: list search recent posts

2x VTR to server transfer speed...

COW Forums : Sony SRW Decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Samuel Dragon
2x VTR to server transfer speed...
on Apr 9, 2009 at 2:01:09 pm

I was reading the SRW-5800 specs and was buggled when I read this:

x2 speed transfer from the VTR to specified server (HKSR-5803HQ)

Am I interpreting this correctly if I suppose it allows you to "Digitize" at twice the speed? If anyone has had the chance of playing with one and knows about the functionality, any info would be great to satisfy my curiosity.

Thanks,

Samuel Dragon

Return to posts index

Dino Sanacory
Re: 2x VTR to server transfer speed...
on Apr 11, 2009 at 6:57:34 pm

The SRW-5800 and the SRW-5100 (player only), have the ability to run at double speed. This is used for either a less compressed RGB signal ( approximately 2:1 rather than 4:1) or for dual streams of regular 4:2:2 (intended for stereo vision).

It appears that the board you mentioned allows (among other things) double speed playback of regular 4:2:2 video which could cut ingest times almost in half. The trick is finding something that can actually receive and make use of this signal. The only systems I found were a select few of the offerings from Quantel. I imagine if the Xpri survived, it would also offer this as an option. A further limiting factor is that the board lists for over $17K.

As much as I like potential of the SR format, the hardware costs involved along with the expanding range of alternate options (RED, AVC Intra) really limit its practicality.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]