Sony DV deck recording problem with QuickTime

COW Forums : Sony SRW Decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
Pippa Young
Sony DV deck recording problem with QuickTime
on Feb 24, 2017 at 1:50:51 pm
Last Edited By Pippa Young on Feb 24, 2017 at 1:51:57 pm

Good Afternoon All at 🐮

I've been having various problems with my Sony HVR-1500 Digital HD Video Tape Recorder for a while and would really appreciate any advice before I throw the recorder out of the window in a fit of rage.

So I'm digitising MiniDV tapes using Quick Time (10.4) to capture the footage playing on the Sony tape deck. This had been working fine, I was getting the whole 60 minute videos in good quality all in one file and exporting within QuickTime. (My Mac Pro is OS Sierra v 10.12.3, Processor 3.5 Ghz 6-Core).

I'm not sure if the Sony deck or QuickTime is at fault but the recording started to have problems firstly when the 60 minute videos had finished recording and they were coming out on QuickTime at 400 hours long. I was baffled but got around this by using the Trim function in QuickTime to get rid of the 399 hours of the last frame of footage.
Then the situation worsened- QuickTime can read the footage playing from Tape Deck, and allows me to press record as usual, but once the recording starts, but the file size remains at 0 KB. (usually the KB number immediately starts growing as QuickTime records the file).
When I press stop recording/the video finishes I get an error reading "cannot record. Try recording again".

This is really frustrating as QuickTime is a really efficient way to record DV- using FCP means I cannot really edit simultaneously. I've tried resetting the Tape Deck, but it plays everything as before so I am wondering if this is a fault with QuickTime.

Could anyone kindly offer some suggestions/information on this process? Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Many thanks and have a lovely day.

Pip

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]