FORUMS: list search recent posts

Laying back 4:4:4 to a 4:2:2 tape

COW Forums : Sony SRW Decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shannon Archibald
Laying back 4:4:4 to a 4:2:2 tape
on Dec 4, 2013 at 10:18:17 pm

Hello everyone,

I've had a request from a client to make some 4:4:4 deliveries to HDCam-SR. This is the first time I've done a 4:4:4 delivery, and I was wondering if there's anyone here who could help me clear up a few things.

I'm using MC 6.0.1, a Mojo DX, and an SRW-5500. I know how to set up Avid and the Mojo for RGB 4:4:4, but we don't have the HKSR5003 option board that allows me to switch the SRW-5500 System Signal to 4:4:4. We also have a SRW-5800, but I believe it's a pre-2008 5800/1 model because again I have no control over the System Signal. We can't really afford a $13,000 processing board right now, so what I'm wondering is this:

If the Avid project and the Mojo are both set to 4:4:4, will the picture itself still be 4:4:4 if laid back to a 4:2:2 tape?

I'm still gathering information from the client, but from what I understand so far the tapes will be used for DVD authoring and not any kind of broadcast. We have done similar deliveries (HDSRs for DVD authoring) before, and I just checked our back-ups of those tapes and they're 4:2:2 as well.

If anyone can give me a bit of information in this so I can speak a little more confidently when I bring my boss some option, that would be amazing.

Thanks all so much,
Shannon

Return to posts index

Frank Gothmann
Re: Laying back 4:4:4 to a 4:2:2 tape
on Dec 24, 2013 at 11:14:29 am

Hi Shannon,
not sure what you mean when you say "...laid back to a 4:2:2 tape". All HDCAM-SR tapes are the same, there is no special 4:4:4 tape type.
You should be able to switch your SRW-5800 to 4:4:4 in the same set-up panel where you switch frame rates. If it isn't there then it not the /2 model.
In that case I doubt the deck would even see your 4:4:4 signal coming in at all.
I don't really see why your client absolutely needs 4:4:4 if it is indeed for DVD authoring. Maybe looking into this would be my first step before thinking about renting a /2 deck.

------
"You also agree that you will not use these products for... the development, design, manufacture or production of nuclear, missiles, or chemical or biological weapons."
iTunes End User Licence Agreement

Return to posts index

Andrew Meek
Re: Laying back 4:4:4 to a 4:2:2 tape
on Feb 28, 2014 at 12:32:14 pm

Also, unless your source material is 444 and you have captured and been editing in RGB 444 within Avid, then your footage is only 422 anyway.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]