FORUMS: list search recent posts

Frame Accurate capture using Format converted video via the FC output SRW5500 and TC

COW Forums : Sony SRW Decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jay agoglia
Frame Accurate capture using Format converted video via the FC output SRW5500 and TC
on Jul 26, 2013 at 10:59:19 pm

Hi All,

I would like to ask the experts about the SRW5500 TC options when using the SRW to convert the format of video.

The tape format (in this case) is 23.98 psf 1080i
The FC format is set to 59.94 1080i

what exactly do I have to set or engage to make the "pull down TC" / "59.94 TC" /or "converted TC" recognized as the systems main TC or the main TC recognized via the RS422 connections.

In short I would like to use Telestream Pipeline (or another deck or AJA Lhi) to capture the converted video at 59.94 "Frame accurately or TC accurately"

Any insight on this? and thank you very much!!

-Jason

Jason Agoglia
QC Manager
On The Spot Media

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
Re: Frame Accurate capture using Format converted video via the FC output SRW5500 and TC
on Aug 1, 2013 at 5:55:10 pm

There are a few things that must be set correctly on the deck in order for this to work the way you expect.

First, you must make sure you're sending tri-level 1080/23.976 PsF to the REF 1 input, and bi-level 525/29.97i to the REF 2 input.

Then set the system on the deck to 1080 / 23.976 PsF, and set the Frame Convert to 525 / 29.97 i. Once the machine is rebooted, you should see these set in the LED display.

Go to VTR Setup on the deck. Set these items:

A04 PD DF/NDF SELECT: NDF

This allows the converted timecode to be accurate to the second. If choosing DF, you need to program in where the synchronization happens. I don't recommend it unless you have a strong reason.

A05 PD EXT SD REF LOCK MODE: LOCK 1

This locks the pulldown added signal to the SD ref you connected to REF 2.

A08 FC REFERENCE: EXT SD

This also tells the format converted output to sync with the SD ref. Not sure why there are two settings, but set both.

A10 9-PIN TC SENSE: FC

This tells the deck to output the pulldown added (29.97i NDF) timecode over the 9-pin RS-422 instead of the tape timecode.

Return to posts index

jay agoglia
Re: Frame Accurate capture using Format converted video via the FC output SRW5500 and TC
on Aug 1, 2013 at 10:00:03 pm

HI Mark,

Thank you so much for your response. A couple of quick questions.

and bi-level 525/29.97i to the REF 2 input.

Then set the system on the deck to 1080 / 23.976 PsF, and set the Frame Convert to 525 / 29.97 i.

1) This is assuming I am converting to SD. If I am converting to 1080i 29.97 or 720P 59.94 than what is the secondary reference signal. what changes from the above guidelines?

This allows the converted timecode to be accurate to the second.

2) Does this mean and actual "second" value. What if I need "Frame" accuracy?

a little clarification on the above will help greatly. I have had a hard time finding information online.

Does "Sony" offer any good support on HD CAM SR....to level of expertise?

thank you again and I cant wait to try this out!

Jason Agoglia
QC Manager
On The Spot Media

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Aug 1, 2013 at 10:50:14 pm

[jay agoglia] "1) This is assuming I am converting to SD. If I am converting to 1080i 29.97 or 720P 59.94 than what is the secondary reference signal. what changes from the above guidelines?"

Bi-level (blackburst) is the ONLY reference signal you ever need for any frame rate/resolution on the SRW-5500 aside from 1080/23.976sF tri-level. So any frame rate/resolution you are using that is a multiple of 29.97, use 525/29.97i blackburst, and any frame rate/resolution you are using that is a multiple of 25, use 625/25i blackburst.

[jay agoglia] "2) Does this mean and actual "second" value. What if I need "Frame" accuracy?"

Think about what you are asking. How can anything that counts to 24 in the same amount of time as counting to 30 ever be equal? It is impossible for a frame rate conversion to be timecode accurate to the frame. So you have to think about what adding pulldown is actually doing.

I've attached a PDF that I made a while back which illustrates this pretty clearly. In case it doesn't show up in the message, it's here:

6356_pulldown.pdf.zip

Look at the timecode columns - you can see how after the first few frames, it's progressively off, due to the difference between counting to 24 and counting to 30. So by using the pulldown add method, you can only be accurate to the second. But that is what people are used to for decades.

To your other question, if you are asking how one can know the machines so well, it is by two methods in concert: one, to read the manual thoroughly and often, and two, live with it for years.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]