FORUMS: list search recent posts

SRW-5500 HD-Cam captioning woes

COW Forums : Sony SRW Decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Regul
SRW-5500 HD-Cam captioning woes
on Feb 22, 2013 at 7:34:36 am

Hello everyone (first post here)!

We have a Sony SRW-5500 in our facility permanently, and it records and plays back captioning on HD-Cams perfectly with no issues whatsoever.

However, we have recently rented a 2nd SRW-5500 deck and it would not record captioning to an HD-Cam nor when playing a HD-Cam tape with captions on it would it display those captions.

After searching through google results, I did find help on this site which pointed me to the super-well hidden meta-data menu, where I changed the meta-data settings for HD-Cam ANC1 to: 09, 572, 61, 01.

This is EXACTLY the same settings our in-house SRW-5500 has.

After I did this, I am now able to record captioning data onto HD-Cams using this deck, however even though the data is on the tape, I still cannot actually DISPLAY the data from these tapes like I can when playing back on our in-house SRW-5500.

Does anyone have any advice about what additional settings I may need to change in order to make this rental SRW-5500 behave like our in-house SRW-5500 and display captions on a HD-Cam reel that is being played?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Jon

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
Re: SRW-5500 HD-Cam captioning woes
on Feb 22, 2013 at 6:04:15 pm

[Jon Regul] "After I did this, I am now able to record captioning data onto HD-Cams using this deck, however even though the data is on the tape, I still cannot actually DISPLAY the data from these tapes like I can when playing back on our in-house SRW-5500."

How are you verifying that the closed captioning is indeed on the tape now despite you not seeing it decoded (I'm assuming that's what you mean by "displayed")? How exactly are you monitoring the playback signal on the rental deck as well as your in-house deck? Which physical connections on the back of the rental deck are you monitoring from? Is it a monitor, scope, or encoder that you are using to verify captioning from these decks?

Chad Brewer
Senior Videotape Operator
TeleVersions, LLC - Chicago

Return to posts index

Jon Regul
on Feb 22, 2013 at 8:09:52 pm

Chad,

We use a Videotek (Harris) scope that decodes the captioning and displays it.

And the way I'm verifying that captioning is indeed on a reel is to take the reel out of the rental SRW-5500 and play it on our own SRW-5500 (or our HD-Cam deck), the playback of which does display the captioning through the scope.

The output of any of these decks is going through a HD router (a Phillips CP 3864), but again, both our in-house SRW-5500 and our HD-Cam deck (HDW-F500) display captioning on the reel with no issues. It is only on the rented SRW-5500 that I am unable to see captioning displayed when I watch the output.

As for physical connections running out of the deck, I'm using the 'HD SDI Output 1' spigot on the back of the deck. Which is the same output we use on our in-house SRW-5500.

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Feb 26, 2013 at 7:45:33 pm

Check menu item 720 (HD OUT BLANK). If this is set to blank instead of through, it may block captioning from being carried through on the SDI.

Return to posts index

Chris Smith
on May 29, 2013 at 9:37:56 am

I am trying to encode an .MCC file, which has been imported to Adobe Premiere, out to a Sony SRW5500 HD deck. I have the deck set up for HD-CAM configuration to record closed captions as metadata to the ANC 1 (line 9 and 572, DID 61, SDID 01). I can monitor the HD SDI stream from the Adobe through the HD deck on E to E and am seeing the captions displayed on a TV Logic monitor. Trouble is, I don’t seem to be able to record the captions to tape. Pages 24/25/26 of the SR5500 deck install manual are very clear about how you set it up. I seem to have done everything correctly.

One person wrote on a forum:

Additionally you have to set the deck to use the CC data instead of User Data: In the system menu, under META DATA there are three choices, "C.C." "USER" and "FILM" -- you must have "C.C." selected for Closed Caption to be the META DATA.

I cannot find any reference to this menu selection either on the deck or in the documentation. Has anyone come across this? The output blanking on the deck is set for ‘through’. We have checked with a waveform monitor for Line 9 data but nothing has been encoded onto the tape

Does anyone have any thoughts why this might be happening?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]