FORUMS: list search recent posts

VITC Layoff

COW Forums : Sony SRW Decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Wilson
VITC Layoff
on Jan 24, 2009 at 7:27:21 pm

Hello

I am down converting HD footage to SD onto a digibeta beck. I am going through a teranex mini for the down convert. I was told by teranex that the tape needs to be laid off with VITC. However I have been having the hardest time trying to lay VITC to the tape. Basically I need to know the process on going from final cut to digibeta using VITC.

Thank you

Return to posts index

Eric Peters
Re: VITC Layoff
on Jan 25, 2009 at 8:14:41 am

I was just struggling to do a downconvert using a Teranex mini on Friday... Anyone have any experience with downconverts through the Teranex mini going from the SRW5500 to an DVW-M2000 Digi deck? Can't seem to send the VITC through the mini to the digi deck. I'm sure I am just missing something. Any insight would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Dino Sanacory
on Jan 27, 2009 at 7:19:25 am

OP:
Are you even using an SRW deck?
Final Cut does not output VITC timecode over SDI. The only place I know that it outputs real timecode is over Firewire for DVCProHD. What you are attempting will not work.

2ndP: Why are you not using the downconverter in the 5500?

Return to posts index

Matt Wilson
on Jan 27, 2009 at 4:57:39 pm

All very good questions. I am using the sony DVW 500. What is the 5500?

Return to posts index

Dino Sanacory
on Jan 27, 2009 at 5:05:43 pm

The 5500 is the Sony SRW-5500 HDCam SR deck, which is what this forum is about. That question was directed at the 2nd post.

Return to posts index

Matt Wilson
on Jan 27, 2009 at 5:10:48 pm

Yeah I mistakenly added this post first.

Return to posts index

Eric Peters
on Jan 27, 2009 at 5:24:07 pm

The consensus here at work is that we're not a fan of downconvert the 5500 is able to do. Our colorists have complained about the image quality as well as the color of the downconvert. They're finding that they can get a better looking downconverted image by laying off via Kona 3 and having the card do the downconvert. Of course, this means an extra set of outputs, which is why we're exploring other avenues to free up an editor from having to lay off the SD of something that has already been laid off HD.

Return to posts index

Dino Sanacory
on Jan 27, 2009 at 8:04:06 pm

Eric, those are certainly good reasons.

The Teranex Mini is supposed to pass a converted VITC. Other than the basics like "is the digibeta set for VITC in?", I can't offer a reason as to why it doesn't work. Hope you find an answer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]