FORUMS: list search recent posts

Asynchronous Video Input - Video Data error

COW Forums : Sony SRW Decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
George Rizkallah
Asynchronous Video Input - Video Data error
on Apr 11, 2012 at 8:51:09 pm

Hi All,
I have an SRW5500 connected to 3 different FCP 7 Systems all with Kona 3 cards. All bays and the deck are getting sync from an AJA Gen-10. I keep getting tapes with red channel (video Data errors) and seem to keep getting Asynchronous Video input errors on the deck during the outputs. The sync seems solid and the same issue happens on both 1080i and 1080pSF. Both of which have their sync points on our patch bay. Does any one have any ideas?

Thanks
g-

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
Re: Asynchronous Video Input - Video Data error
on Apr 12, 2012 at 3:51:58 pm

Asynchronous Input errors are definitely sync related. What flavor of sync are you using? The SRW-5500 wants SD blackburst for ALL system formats except for 23.98/24.

How are you getting the sync around exactly? Are you looping through or using DAs? I have found that unless sync all comes from one source and is properly distributed to all systems, there will be discrepancies and you will have drift/offsets.

How are the KONAs setup? When you open the KONA control panel, do you see the exact ref signal arriving, and is the control panel set to Ref In?

Return to posts index

George Rizkallah
on Apr 13, 2012 at 8:41:06 pm

All the sync comes directly from a gen-10. We have a patch bay that we use to patch the proper sync to the deck and the room we're using to output. We'll then set the Kona control panel to ref in. 90% of our outputs are currently 23.98. We then master from our time line and that's when the issues happen. It seems to be that the deck sees an error when ever we go into edit to tape mode or once it's done with an edit and is switching back from recode mode. It's odd as both the edit system and the deck seem to be locking during the edit it self. I'm currently going to try a DA and a locking all the bays and the decks to the same sync.

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Apr 13, 2012 at 8:50:48 pm

The Gen-10's outputs are all supposed to be synchronized, but there is a chance that they're not. In my facility, I had a different generator whose specs said all reference signals generated were in sync with each other. I found this was not the case. Now I have one sync output of the generator and I feed it to a massive composite DA, which feeds everybody (11 mix rooms, 12 video rooms). Everyone is ref'd and happy now. That deck is telling you the right thing, and that (so far) is the only way I know for sure how to solve it. Good luck.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Apr 23, 2012 at 11:35:24 pm

[George Rizkallah] "We then master from our time line and that's when the issues happen. It seems to be that the deck sees an error when ever we go into edit to tape mode or once it's done with an edit and is switching back from recode mode. It's odd as both the edit system and the deck seem to be locking during the edit it self."

So the asynchronous errors are not occurring during actual recording?

You are aware that FCP interrupts video to the Kona until it initiates the output again with a preroll command to the tape machine and then it "pulls the plug" again at the record "out"? These are usually logged as "missing SDI input" in the SRW menu.

But don't get me started ranting about how bad the ETT module actually is in FCP.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]