FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP to 5500 layoff - frame offset issue

COW Forums : Sony SRW Decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Jahns
FCP to 5500 layoff - frame offset issue
on Jan 22, 2009 at 6:15:41 pm

We are trying to layoff 1080psf23.98 sequences from FCP to a rented SRW-5500, using a Kona LHe, HD-SDI. The problem is that the deck control is inconsistent - sometimes it's exactly on, sometimes it's a frame off, sometimes even 2.

The owner of the deck says, "Yeah, that's FCP for you - not the deck's fault" - but we've laid off frame accurately for years to NTSC DigiBeta. Is this a known issue?

Anyone else have problems laying off accurately to HDCAM-SR at 23.98?

Return to posts index

Dino Sanacory
Re: FCP to 5500 layoff - frame offset issue
on Jan 22, 2009 at 8:12:49 pm

It's almost certainly Final Cut. I've had hit and miss experiences over the years though I'm almost always on Blackmagic hardware. I've noticed no specific connection to any deck or frame rate. That includes the 5500. I would contact AJA support. They might have some insight.

Return to posts index

Steve MacMillan
on Jan 24, 2009 at 4:58:33 pm

I get frame accurate output from FCP to the SRW5500 all day long from the Kona3. With my Panasonic D5 I have to add a 1 frame offset to the AJA Panasonic device control.

Return to posts index

Steve Herring
on May 22, 2009 at 9:57:18 pm

David,

It's been months since you posted your original message, but in case anyone else has this problem... it's important to check if the SRW-5500 you're using has the FC option installed, and if so, what the state of the A10 system setting is set to. It can either be Line (24F) or FC. If it is set to FC and the format converter is set to an alternate frame rate (such as 1080/59.94i), you'll have missed edits.

Make sure it is set to Line or that the FC is set to the same frame rate as the primary system timing of the deck.

Cheers,
Steve

Return to posts index

David Jahns
on May 26, 2009 at 4:42:32 pm

Thanks Steve. I did figure this out after some trial and error. Also - Having the deck pull sync from the incoming video worked better than using our sync generator.

Return to posts index

Scott Dempsey
on Jun 8, 2009 at 5:36:53 pm

I am having a similar issue. I am laying off a feature film 4:4:4 dual link from a Kona 3 FCP system to a 5800 SR deck. Both the deck and the system are being fed sync by a sync generator. Everything in my timeline is set up properly. No video has to render, the only processing is there are 10 channels of audio, 8 plays without rendering but 10 has to be rendered. I could lay the show off 5 times and 1 time it may be in sync, but all the other times it will be 1 frame out, early or late. I have tried everything I can think of, tried different in points, tried re-initializing, I've tried laying off just the front of the show to make sure it is frame accurate before laying off the whole show to find that it is wrong and that hasn't worked either... I will do the test, it will be on, so then I do the layoff and it is 1 frame out. I am doing an insert with timecode now to see if that does it. That would mean having to black the whole tape before laying off which is a lot of time, I would much rather assemble. If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear them. Thanks

Return to posts index

David Jahns
on Jun 8, 2009 at 6:39:40 pm

We finally got reliable results by NOT using an external sync for the deck, but having it pull sync from the incoming video. Also, make sure the frame rate converter is not converting anything - keep it set to the same frame rate as your layoff. I was working at 23.98, and when the converter was set to 59.94, we had issues. Changed it to 23.98 and changed the sync signal and everything was fine.

Return to posts index

Scott Dempsey
on Jun 8, 2009 at 8:42:42 pm

"NOT using an external sync for the deck, but having it pull sync from the incoming video"

How are you achieving this? Simply selecting input REF on the deck?

Return to posts index

David Jahns
on Jun 23, 2009 at 10:15:51 pm

Yes, exactly. VIDEO button to the right of the LCD, then SERVO REF --> Input.

What sucks is that I have to switch it back to EXT to watch playback, but oh well - layoff works frame accurately, which is most important....

Return to posts index

jeff ledellaytner
on Sep 2, 2009 at 4:31:53 pm

YES! This also worked for the DVW A500. I pulled out the front to reveal the secret zone. Then switched the OUT REF to video input. You switch it to the left. I layed off a sequence from FCP twice and it was on sync. That has not happened in 3 years. Thanks.

J

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]