FORUMS: list search recent posts

SRW-5500 Won't Record to HDCAM SR

COW Forums : Sony SRW Decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan McGuire
SRW-5500 Won't Record to HDCAM SR
on May 20, 2011 at 3:46:05 pm

This is an odd problem. I'm working with an SRW-5500 deck, and for some reason, when I hit play/record to black a tape, it just starts playing the blank tape without recording anything. I've gone through all the settings I can think of in the video, TC, and PF2 menus, and I've of course checked to be sure that record inhibit is not enabled on the deck or the tape. Everything is in order, but the deck simply won't record.

Stranger still, the deck has no problem recording to HDCAM tapes. The problem only manifests when I'm trying to record to SR tapes. I've been working with this deck for over three years, and this is the first time it's given me this sort of problem.

Has anyone run into something similar? Is there a buried setting somewhere that I'm missing or could it be an actual hardware issue that would require maintenance? Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: SRW-5500 Won't Record to HDCAM SR
on May 20, 2011 at 4:19:06 pm

When the machine boots up does it display both the HDCam and HDCam SR logos?

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Dan McGuire
on May 20, 2011 at 4:26:10 pm

No, it's only showing the HDCAM logo right now. It's shown both in the past.

Edit: I figured it out. Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on May 20, 2011 at 9:49:36 pm

Excellent. What was it? i got my machine from a rental a while back and fixed it by restoring the system to default, and therefore didn't actually solve the problem directly...

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
on May 20, 2011 at 10:54:11 pm

Let me guess, the system record format was still set to HDCAM instead of HDCAM SR.

What you were seeing - the tape playing and not recording - is exactly what happens when you try to record on an HDCAM SR tape and you haven't set the record format accordingly.

Chad Brewer
Senior Broadcast Videotape Operator
TeleVersions, LLC - Chicago

Return to posts index

Dan McGuire
on May 21, 2011 at 2:36:21 am

Yes. The rec format had for some reason been switched to HDCAM. I switched it back to auto, and everything is working fine again.

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on May 23, 2011 at 3:30:51 pm

I always wondered - why is that setting even there? Auto is the only thing that makes sense to me there.

Return to posts index

Jim McDonald
on Oct 8, 2011 at 1:01:47 am

I thought maybe that menu would allow you to force making a plain HDCAM recording on SR stock, but I couldn't make that work. ??

Return to posts index

Anthony Cox
on May 15, 2012 at 9:57:31 am

And where exactly do you find that settings to change it?

*NB if your going to post that you found the answer to your question, it's polite to then post the answer in full as others (like me) might be looking and saves a repost.

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on May 15, 2012 at 2:08:42 pm

Allow me to read from the almighty SRW-5500 manual...

System Menu. (SFT-DIAG>SFT-MAINT>OTHERS CHECK>SYSTEM MENU).

F5 - set to Auto. Almost no reason to change this to anything else, as Auto will allow HDCAM recording to HDCAM tapes, and HDCAM-SR recording to HDCAM-SR tapes.

Return to posts index

Anthony Cox
on May 15, 2012 at 11:37:56 pm

Thank you! I'd me we have found in this in the manual -- was running through it for ages.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]