FORUMS: list search recent posts

only changing TC on HDCAM tapes

COW Forums : Sony SRW Decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jochem van Rijs
only changing TC on HDCAM tapes
on Mar 20, 2011 at 12:34:53 pm

I have 45 HDCAM tapes with clips from a library but the time codes on all the tapes are a mess with to many breaks.

What I would like to do is to use a HDW-1800 recorder to insert new time codes on these tapes. I can either do it on the HDCAM recorder or via via FCP (I have a Kona 3 and a LH)

But until now I have not been able to figure out how to do it.

I have little experience with these Hi-End machines and the manual is not telling me what I want to know.

Looking forward to any help. rgs

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
Re: only changing TC on HDCAM tapes
on Mar 21, 2011 at 2:04:56 am

Hi Jochem,

The HDW-1800 is a difficult VTR to get used to with its menu structure.

You can re-insert timecode on these tapes using the HDW-1800 deck on its own from a known, good starting timecode on the tape as long as the timecode breaks you mention are not severe enough to cause interruptions in the servo on the deck. If the servo unlocks during these timecode breaks, an insert timecode will not work.

If the timecode breaks don't unlock the servo on the deck, then find good timecode at the beginning of the tape where you want to insert from. In the HDW-1800 menus, select edit and shift/entry/INS TC/in point/shift/entry/pre-roll/auto-edit.

Chad Brewer
Senior Broadcast Videotape Operator
TeleVersions, LLC - Chicago

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Mar 21, 2011 at 3:22:44 pm

I would recommend a different strategy, but only if you have access to a player and a recorder deck. You can avoid having to worry about control track breaks if you are making a dub. Put problem tape in machine A and new dub tape in machine B, then patch HD-SDI from A to B, and set machine B to record TC (internal-LTC/preset). Set a TC for the start time, and then press play on player and record on recorder and you're good.

Return to posts index

Jochem van Rijs
on Mar 21, 2011 at 3:40:45 pm

Thanks Mark.. I think this would be the best option. As I also want to capture these tapes anyway for making pro res clips for the client. I can capture them on the same run.

Also I can reuse the tapes with the broken time codes. It are only 45 40min tapes :(

Return to posts index

Jochem van Rijs
on Mar 21, 2011 at 3:38:48 pm

Dear Chad

Thank you for the reply. How can I check if a servo lock fails? Basically the tapes where made from crash recording from a JH-3 to the HDW 1800 so I have the feeling that the issue of the servo would be the case.

(I normally just rent deks to capture stuff.... this is my first real issue with recording to the machines......
Capturing is easy!)

rgs

Jochem van Rijs

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
on Mar 21, 2011 at 10:55:04 pm

During playback on an area of the tape where the crash recording occurred, monitor the green servo light on the front of the deck. If the lamp becomes unlit, the servo has unlocked for one of many possibly reasons, but in this case it would most likely unlock because of a break in control track.

Like Mark suggested, if you have two decks then what he said is the way to go. If you only have access to one and you said you have to capture the tapes anyway, it won't be real-time, but you can lay off back to tape from your NLE with a new, continuous timecode recording...

Chad Brewer

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
on Mar 22, 2011 at 11:02:47 pm

Oh, and by the way, on the HDW-1800, the servo light is not marked servo like on other decks. It's the small green light above the play button...

Chad Brewer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]