FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDCam SR 5800 clone dropin

COW Forums : Sony SRW Decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Whippey
HDCam SR 5800 clone dropin
on Jan 5, 2011 at 2:13:42 pm

Hi there,

We are having an issue with dropping in to a cloned SR tape. We have been able to drop in to the original master, however both Avid and Pro Tools are unable to sync to the tape. We have a number of known working tapes which we are able to drop into

Our workflow was as follows -
1) Master tape created laying off from Avid Media Composer to SRW5800
2) audio dropped in (inserted) from pro Tools V7.4 (SRW 5800)
3) clones then created going from SRW5800 --> SRW5500
4) after out own in-house QC there were a couple of fixes for both video and audio - neither department could drop into the clones, whilst both could drop into the masters.

We've tried everything under the sun, but to no avail!

Any ideas???

thanks

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
Re: HDCam SR 5800 clone dropin
on Jan 5, 2011 at 5:31:49 pm

What's happening exactly when you try inserting? Doesn't lock? If so, check sync. Make sure you're feeding identical reference signals to both machine and workstation. Make sure the system resolution/rate matches PB. Check your preroll amount too. Too short preroll times will not allow inserts.

Return to posts index

Neil Whippey
on Jan 5, 2011 at 7:12:42 pm

The deck just wont lock. The reference source is identical. I can put in a known tape and it will work fine, but with the tapes from this [articular show, we can't get a lock.

We have actually discovered that there's a LTC anomoly. It will lag slightly every 4 frames and then jump back in sync, so our workaround is to assemble a new tape, generating fresh LTC/VITC and inserting the video and audio on top - now to find out the cause.....

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Jan 5, 2011 at 7:34:15 pm

[Neil Whippey] "It will lag slightly every 4 frames and then jump back in sync"

Yeah - that means that your clone deck was set to a different frame rate than your source deck. You're either trying to play back a 24 frame tape at 30fps or a 30 frame tape at 24 fps or something to that effect. These decks can play and record at 23.976, 24, 25, 29.97, etc. - make sure the system is set correctly before making clones. The LCD will display two lines: System is what your deck is set to, and PB is what's on tape. If those don't match, you will have problems like what you're experiencing.

Return to posts index

Neil Whippey
on Jan 5, 2011 at 7:45:32 pm

I wish it was that simple - The frame rates were identical - 50i, so we're currently tryign to work out if there are any settings which might upset a clone going from a 5800 to a 5500. The 5500 was a hire in deck, so my bet is that a setting somewhere doesn't match up. At least we have a workaround for now.

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
on Jan 6, 2011 at 1:20:18 am

"clones then created going from SRW5800 --> SRW5500"

We have both of these machines. Without being in front of your machines and tapes, if you can edit in on your master tapes and other known good tapes, but not your clones, my guess is that you botched the timecode on your clones by not properly setting the timecode settings on your record deck which would account for you seeing the LTC anomalies on those tapes.

If the recording deck is not set correctly to receive proper LTC OR! VITC, then you'll end up with a tape that has bad timecode that the servo can't lock to when attempting to edit.

Again though, this is my best guess without being where you are.

Chad Brewer
Senior Broadcast Videotape Operator
TeleVersions, LLC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]