FORUMS: list search recent posts

4:4:4 Format Conversion output

COW Forums : Sony SRW Decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brian Cunneff
4:4:4 Format Conversion output
on Dec 30, 2010 at 9:54:00 pm

Hi. I'm trying to capture 4:4:4 Pro Res (1080/59.94) on a Blackmagic HD Extreme 3D card from the Format Conversion Outputs of a SRW-5500. I have the SR deck set to 444 on the Format Conversion outputs and have the necessary cards. I have the FORM CONV SDI cables running from the A link and the B link on the SR deck.....to the A and B Inputs on the Blackmagic.

What I get when I see the image on Final Cut is a full image, but with a green line running horizontally through the middle.

This is the first I've worked with 4:4:4 and the ProRes 444 digitize need is via client request. I'm doing something wrong obviously, but the SRW-5500 documentation doesn't help at all.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
Re: 4:4:4 Format Conversion output
on Dec 31, 2010 at 12:29:40 am

What is your capture preset (easy setup) in FCP?

Is the tape recorded in 4:4:4?

If you have the frame convert set to 4:4:4, is it because you are trying to digitize at 4:4:4 from a tape that is 4:2:2?

The primary outputs of the SRW-5500 are labeled with A&B's and 1&2's. The frame convert outputs are only labeled 1&2, so I'm confused which outputs you're connecting. If the answer to my third question is yes, I would ask why, but instead are you sure the 2 SDI's you're running to the card are on the FC outs and not the primaries, because you mentioned A's and B's which are the primary outs and if you're doing it that way as mentioned with A&B, then that's not correct to get the 4:4:4 signal out of the deck.

Let me know and I'll try to help you.

Chad Brewer
Senior Broadcast Videotape Operator
TeleVersions, LLC

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Dec 31, 2010 at 8:41:53 pm

Most of the 4:4:4 system is covered in the "installation" manual, not the User Manual... for instance, how to change the system over to 4:4:4 in the first place. Hint: involves two "secret" SHIFT functions and a reboot WITHOUT the tape in the machine.

I think he must be working with a 4:4:4 tape, as it would not present an image otherwise, assuming the machine has been set up correctly. It is also possible that the Blackmagic card is interfering somehow if it isn't being directly controlled by Final Cut's Log and Capture module.

I have encountered users who think they can use two cables and a "T" connector for a single-SDI "dual link" flow. Baffling and bewildering. I only have experience with Kona3, so other than machine outputs, not much help.

The SRW5500 has three outputs grouped in its HD-SDI-OUT jackfield: 1,2, and Monitor. These three outputs have a twinned "B(Option)" BNC connector below each of the "A" outputs. The "B(Option)" output is the second half of the 4:4:4 Dual-Link HD-SDI connection. Two cables are required, and should be connected to an "A" and "B" input on whatever capture card is installed.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
on Jan 1, 2011 at 12:29:14 am

[Joseph Owens] "assuming the machine has been set up correctly"

Yep, good advice Joseph.

You're only going to get 4:4:4 as an FC out option if the system is set to 4:2:2 and of course the system should be set to match the specs of the tape. He's saying his FC out is set to 4:4:4. In that case, FC1&2 out. If the tape is 4:4:4 then you accordingly set the system to that and forget about FC out and use primary A1+B1.

Chad Brewer
TeleVersions, LLC

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Jan 6, 2011 at 6:35:28 pm

In addition to that, I don't think FC even offers 4:2:2 conversion from 4:4:4, no matter what options are installed.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
on Jan 11, 2011 at 12:20:25 am

[Joseph Owens] "I don't think FC even offers 4:2:2 conversion from 4:4:4, no matter what options are installed."

It certainly does with the HKSR 5001 board which is very useful for monitoring a 4:4:4 tape without a 4:4:4 capable monitor as well as for providing HDCAM SR tapes in 4:2:2 from 4:4:4 masters to people who don't have the HKSR-5003 4:4:4 board in their deck and are thus incapable of playing back the 4:4:4 originals.

Chad Brewer
TeleVersions, LLC

Return to posts index

Brian Cunneff
on Jan 20, 2011 at 6:31:21 pm

Sorry for vanishing......I got run over by a cold.

What is your capture preset (easy setup) in FCP?

On a Blackmagic HD Extreme 3D capture card, I'm using "Apple ProRes 444".

Is the tape recorded in 4:4:4?

No....4:2:2

If you have the frame convert set to 4:4:4, is it because you are trying to digitize at 4:4:4 from a tape that is 4:2:2?

Yes.....I have a specific request to capture at Pro Res 444.

The primary outputs of the SRW-5500 are labeled with A&B's and 1&2's. The frame convert outputs are only labeled 1&2, so I'm confused which outputs you're connecting. If the answer to my third question is yes, I would ask why, but instead are you sure the 2 SDI's you're running to the card are on the FC outs and not the primaries, because you mentioned A's and B's which are the primary outs and if you're doing it that way as mentioned with A&B, then that's not correct to get the 4:4:4 signal out of the deck.

You are absolutely correct. I was using FC OUT A (#1) and FC OUT B (#1) together rather than FC OUT A (#1 and #2). I assumed that #1 and #2 on each were redundant mults rather than both parts of the Format Converted signal. I feel like an idiot for not realizing this without your posts....but I think it's important to fess up when I do stupid stuff...humility is a good thing.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]