FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony SRW-5500 BTC, recording Character Super to tape

COW Forums : Sony SRW Decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Bacon
Sony SRW-5500 BTC, recording Character Super to tape
on Dec 23, 2010 at 5:04:19 pm

Hello,

I have what I hope is a simple question about operating a SRW-5500.

I am sending a 1080p signal to the deck, recording on HDCam SR. My client would like a timecode burn-in (BTC) into the video signal.

I am capable of generating a BTC within my online editing software, but I would like to skip the render time and create the burn-in with the deck.

Can a SRW-5500 be set to record the character super information to tape?

I only have one HD deck so I can't do a tape-to-tape record.

Thanks for you time and energy,

-Matt

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
Re: Sony SRW-5500 BTC, recording Character Super to tape
on Dec 23, 2010 at 11:54:57 pm

Matt,
I can't think of a reason that a client would want timecode burned in on an HDCAM SR - THE currently highest-end and most expensive HD format. I'm sure you know the costs of the tapestock alone - to record what will probably be a "reference" video on HDCAM SR seems ridiculous and justifies the days of providing VHS window dubs and what is now usually done with proxy files or DVD's. I would suggest an accompanying DVD with burned in timecode from the composite out of the SR deck to a cheap DVD recorder on top of a clean SR recording.
However, if your client insists that they want timecode burned on an HDCAM SR recording, you'll have to do it with your NLE. The SRW-5500 (like most VTR's) has options for character display on the various outputs, e.g. frame convert out, SDI-out, monitor out - there are no options for the deck to display its own recording timecode supered over its recording.
Do they really need an HDCAM SR with BITC? If so, I'm curious why.

Chad Brewer
Senior Tape Operator/Engineer
TeleVersions

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Sony SRW-5500 BTC, recording Character Super to tape
on Dec 31, 2010 at 8:44:15 pm

It might be possible to do this with a pre-read re-insert edit, but I would also be completely mystified by "why".

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]