FORUMS: list search recent posts

SRW5800 insert video without VITC break

COW Forums : Sony SRW Decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Sartwell
SRW5800 insert video without VITC break
on Dec 14, 2010 at 7:22:46 pm

On an SRW-5800 (or 5500), is it possible to re-black a tape from the very beginning without breaking the time code?

We have a tape with blocks/pixelation in the black ahead of the bars. We need to edit over all of the defects with new black.

The closest we can get is about 3-4 seconds from the beginning of the tape, because the deck and our edit system need pre-roll.

Any help is appreciated on this, my first creativecow post!

-Peter

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
Re: SRW5800 insert video without VITC break
on Dec 15, 2010 at 12:34:15 am

Peter,
Yes, this is easy. Perform an insert video edit, not an assemble edit, and don't enable insert TC.
You won't really be re-black&coding the tape, you'll just be inserting black and not touching the TC if you perform an insert edit. Unless you've changed the pre-roll on the 5800, its default is 3 seconds as is FCP's (but I don't know what NLE you're using).
The closest you'll probably get to editing at the head of the tape is 5 seconds in to account for the 3 second pre-roll.
Then, make sure of two things - one, that the deck's TC is set to internal and regen and two, that you also set an OUT point for the insert so you don't record black in to the good part of the tape that you want to stay intact. In doing so, you'll insert black or whatever you want for that matter and the existing LTC & VITC that is already recorded on the tape will remain unchanged.

Chad Brewer
Senior Tape Operator/Engineer
TeleVersions

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
on Dec 15, 2010 at 12:39:26 am

As a side note.....you don't even need to perform the edit with your NLE.
Just send black from your NLE or a legitimate HD black source to the deck and you can set up the same insert edit I described by using the edit functions of the VTR.

Chad Brewer
Senior Tape Operator/Engineer
TeleVersions

Return to posts index

Peter Sartwell
on Dec 15, 2010 at 1:35:12 am

Thanks for your reply, Chad!

Your instructions are exactly what we did here. Actually we set the deck's pre-roll to zero (Menu 302). Even then, the closest we could edit to the beginning of the tape was about 3 seconds, which seems to be the smallest amount of time the deck needs to get up to speed.

The 3 seconds of hits came from an input to the deck that bled onto the deck's generated black. Which seems strange, but it's totally repeatable. Must remember to disconnect input when generating, I guess.

Luckily the recipient accepts the imperfection, as they only need the 30 seconds ahead of the bars to be clear. I just hate to deliver something that's not spot on all the way through.

Anyway thanks for the help!

-Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]