FORUMS: list search recent posts

HDLINK, output and servo ref question

COW Forums : Sony SRW Decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Reeves
HDLINK, output and servo ref question
on Aug 18, 2010 at 8:34:32 pm

Hello there. We are currently having a problem with our HDLINK box when we output. We have a 1080i 29.97 sequence, output through the kona 3 card to an HDCAM SR deck. We are feeding it tri level sync and have our servo ref on "Auto". Everything outputs to tape correctly and frame accurately. The problem comes from the return to out LCD TV. SDI goes out of the deck to an HDLINK box and out the hdlink box hdmi to the tv. What is happening is the video and audio on the tv drops out randomly, i can here clicks and pops and random video hits. This is a big issue when clients are sitting behind me watching their show go down. to me this sounds like a reference issue. i usually can resolve this by pulling the sdi to the hdlink box and putting it back in, it seems like it relocks that way. when the output stops and i want to view back the tape, it will lose the lock again and give me the hits clicks and pops. so i guess here are my questions.

-first has anyone dealt with this type of thing? any solutions?

-should the hdcam sr deck be on auto or input? we have always had success with auto, but my boss seems to think that it will lock to the video coming in but the tri level sync reference will "bleed through" and mess up the signal. i dont believe this to be true since we are able to output correctly and frame accurately, its just the return signal thats messed up

-is there a better solution than the hdlink box to monitor an sdi signal on an hdmi tv?

thanks for your help.

kevin reeves
http://www.kappastudios.com

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
Re: HDLINK, output and servo ref question
on Aug 20, 2010 at 7:54:57 pm

[Kevin Reeves] "first has anyone dealt with this type of thing?"

not specifically, but

[Kevin Reeves] "should the hdcam sr deck be on auto or input? we have always had success with auto, but my boss seems to think that it will lock to the video coming in but the tri level sync reference will "bleed through" and mess up the signal. i dont believe this to be true since we are able to output correctly and frame accurately, its just the return signal thats messed up"

Don't listen to your boss - that's crazy talk. If you are feeding them both tri-level sync, both KONA and SR deck should be set to EXT REF. No reason for Auto anything, and especially not "input" ref. Auto is not reliable in 99.9% of situations. Input is to be used only when an external reference is not available. Since you have a valid external ref, set the deck to ext ref/HD.

Note: in my facility we reference all HD and SD decks to bi-level NTSC reference (525i/29.97) unless 24p operation is called for. Look in the manuals and you will see that your HD decks prefer SD ref for any 29.97 based frame rates. That would be ideal. But I have had success with tri-level in the scenario you describe.

Your HDLINK problem sounds like you're using wiring that's not high enough bandwidth to support 1.5Gbps HD-SDI. If it's going a bunch of places or through some patchbays you don't know enough about, try getting a proper HD-SDI bandwidth cable and connecting directly from the deck output to your device. That will rule out whatever cable is in between as the problem. If it still balks, it's likely something with the HDLINK box (either setup or malfunction).

Better solution? A monitor with SDI input. Or, the AJA Hi5.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: HDLINK, output and servo ref question
on Sep 5, 2010 at 10:08:14 pm

[Kevin Reeves] "should the hdcam sr deck be on auto or input?"

I have a similar HDLink monitor situation and have never observed this problem, other than if the FCP Edit to Tape module is active and I'm trying to use FCP as a playback controller. I'm not sure how the HDLink could have a problem with "servo lock" as I understand it, since it is simply decoding SDI with no other reference. Is it the SR deck that is having problems hunting between a poorly clocked TriLevel and Input reference? If its in "Auto", especially in playback, there may be a conflict there, especially if there is "no" video being fed to the SDI video input of the SR deck as is the case with FCP when the ETT module is active.

Pull all the inputs to the machine and observe the results.

jPo

You mean "Old Ben"? Ben Kenobi?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]