FORUMS: list search recent posts

SR Deck Phantom TC Breaks On Digitize

COW Forums : Sony SRW Decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Ruiz
SR Deck Phantom TC Breaks On Digitize
on Feb 22, 2010 at 2:12:55 am

Hi All

Im digitizing from an HDCAM SR Deck and Im getting TC breaks where no TC breaks exist. I've checked the masters by scrolling the deck and they are solid Network HDCAM SR QC masters. It isn't dropped frames and the TC breaks are random 1 per 42 minute master

Im digitizing from HDCAM SR 23.98 to PRO RES 23.98.

any ideas would help...thanks We also posted on the FCP / AJA Kona Forum with various suggestions .. Will The AJA GEN10 fix this on Capture?

MAC PRO 8 core 6 GB ram
Snow Leopard
FCP Studio 2
Kona 3
Graid 4T 800 firewire
HDCAM SRW 5500 Deck

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: SR Deck Phantom TC Breaks On Digitize
on Feb 22, 2010 at 3:43:35 pm

I was going to ask about codec, but ProRes has been fairly bullet proof for me.

I don't think a Gen10 would help -- can't see how going the other way would guarantee that it would fix the problem, that's for sure. I get this issue when trying to digitize to some other codecs that require quite a bit of computation.

Are you trying to digitize the whole tape in one pass?

jpo

This IS my blog!

Return to posts index

Michael Ruiz
on Feb 22, 2010 at 4:09:42 pm

Yes... Im batch digitizing 42 mintue shows .. It's strange ... I've never had this problem

Return to posts index

Angela Gardner
on Mar 3, 2010 at 2:42:57 am

Just wondering if you ever figured out how to solve the problem. I am running into the same issue of phantom time code breaks during capture.

Return to posts index

Bill Stephan
on Mar 23, 2010 at 12:23:59 am

Final Cut Pro loves to find phantom time code breaks on HDCAM-SR and almost every other tape format. We never found a solution for the problem. The same tapes capture with no time code breaks on Avid Symphony Nitris.

Bill Stephan
Senior Editor/DVD Author
USA Studios
New York City

Return to posts index

Jean-Christophe Boulay
on Mar 29, 2010 at 8:15:41 pm

Hi guys,

I just wanted to chime in to say I have seen a similar problem. It popped up out of the blue one day. After much head-scratching, to-the-heavens-yelling and hair pulling, I traced it to an issue with a drive in our Utrastor RAID. Basically, what should've come out as a "dropped frame" error was presented as a timecode break by FCP7 (including FCP looking for it frame-by-frame for a few minutes). The moment I sorted the RAID out and got full bandwidth again, the problem disappeared, never to return (yet).

I don't know if this has anything to do with your issues, but could be worth a check.

IHTH

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]