HD to SD

COW Forums : Sony SRW Decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabriel Barzan
HD to SD
on Nov 30, 2009 at 3:22:31 pm

Hi all!
We have a 5800 deck and we have too a tape HD 4:4:4, 1920x1080 24psf
Ok, we need record this tape HD to a Betacam digital PAL (DVW-500P), so i need to do a downcoverter to sd 4:2:2, 720x576 25f.

Is it possible? How?

Any suggestions to get around this?

Thanks for any input.

Gabriel

Return to posts index

Brian O'Corrbui
Re: HD to SD
on Nov 30, 2009 at 9:39:39 pm

Absolutely! Set the 5800 to 1080i/50, and also set your format conversion to 1080i/50. Insert your 24p master and play. The SD downconverted signal will now be outputting at 25 fps. You can now hook up your DigiBeta deck and record.

If however, you need to edit onto your Digibeta master, then you need to enable timecode conversion. This is done by entering your TC menu, pressing ALT, and entering TC Conv. I like to line up my tape to 01:00:00:00, set the Jump TC to 10:00:00:00, and this gives me a TC output of 00:24:00:00. I can then use this TC to edit to my DigiBeta master.

Also, you may need to adjust the audio settings to compensate for the speed up, but off the top of my head I can't tell you what the menu settings are. We usually leave them unadjusted, as the pitch down can lead to sync issues. If you need to know the settings, give me a shout back.

Brian

Return to posts index

Chad Brewer
on Dec 1, 2009 at 1:32:58 am

If this is your only option for downconverting, then go with it.
However, these high end Sony VTR's boards that do the downconverts are for shit compared to hardware that is dedicated to doing these types of processing.
If you have some more dough and your project is very important, call me. I have Teranex and motion compensated PAL hardware.

chad
TeleVersions Broadcast Video

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on Dec 6, 2009 at 9:56:47 pm

I'd have to agree that the onboard realtime downconvert is unlikely to be satisfactory for anything but a fast "dailies" dub. I'm doing a lot of 29.97 ---> 25 lately and if you want it to look any good, it takes time.

jPo

This IS my blog!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]