FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cropping to 1.85?

COW Forums : Sony SRW Decks

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Simon Epstein
Cropping to 1.85?
on Sep 15, 2009 at 5:21:58 pm

Hi,
I hope someone might be able to help me here.
I've got a film project, shot 1.85 (3-perf), telecined to 16x9 HD Video (Prores 422 HQ). Because of the difference between the 1.85 aspect ratio and 16x9 (1.78), we have a little bit of matting at the top and bottom of our frame. In this matting, we have our burn ins with keycode and other data. I'd like to know if there is a way to lay off to the SRW-5000 and set the deck to crop or matte the image to 1.85, which would get rid of our burn ins. I can matte the burn ins out in final cut, but then I have to deal with render times. So if there is a way to do it with the deck, any recommendations or suggestions would be appreciated and be a big time saver.
Thanks!

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
Re: Cropping to 1.85?
on Sep 15, 2009 at 7:40:29 pm

I don't have a Frame Conversion card in my deck, so it may operate differently.
The only crop/reformat options available to my knowledge are in the HD-->SD conversion which do allow for several options, but only in DOWNCONVERT.
Sounds like a slightly anamorphic 1.85 stretch to 1.78 might have been the way to go? Ach, more rendering.

jPo

This IS my blog!

Return to posts index

Simon Epstein
on Sep 15, 2009 at 7:44:38 pm

Thanks, Joseph. I'm not sure an anamorphic stretch would've fixed anything- as you said, more rendering and we wouldn't have had the matte space for our burns without going onto the image. Surely there has to be a way to do a simple matte/crop with this deck...

Return to posts index

Mark Spano
on Sep 18, 2009 at 2:45:44 pm

No, the SRW has no HD to HD crop features. You could add in a widescreen matte in FCP and render. Or maybe create a keyable matte in Photoshop and add it in live (I have seen it done before but wouldn't know exactly how to set it up...)

Return to posts index

Simon Epstein
on Sep 18, 2009 at 6:36:58 pm

We created an alpha channel matte and overlayed it through our Kona card, which does the trick. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]