Maxx Raids

COW Forums : Maxx Digital

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cowcowcowcowcow
Liam Stephens
Maxx Raids
on Nov 10, 2008 at 9:31:00 pm

Hey All
Just saw the new forum for Maxx Digital just wanted to add my kudos to Ron and the crew.

Maxx has totally outfitted the RAID storage needs for the company i work for. Great service which always goes beyond the usual retail outlet. The honesty and tech support that comes from Maxx also is a breath of fresh air. The Maxx products are great too and as good as the name brands they also offer for a cheaper price.

I have also been using Maxx to get my own personal equipment recently purchasing the pieces to create my own 4TB RAID which gets up to write: 597 MB/s read: 743 MB/s

cheers
L

Mac 10.5.4
FCP 6.04
2 x 2.8ghz Quad Core Intel Xeon
16gb RAM
7 TB Maxx RAID
AJA Kona3

Return to posts index

Curt Clapier
Re: Maxx Raids
on Nov 13, 2008 at 4:32:39 am

Have you used the Drobo? I was wondering how it compares and holds up. We just bought one and we have no complaints so far. LEt me know what you think.

Do you need Royalty FREE Stock Footage you can Afford? http://www.freeclips.stockshotsnow.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Maxx Raids
on Nov 13, 2008 at 10:56:24 pm

Curt writes -
Have you used the Drobo? I was wondering how it compares and holds up. We just bought one and we have no complaints so far. LEt me know what you think

REPLY - well, this is quite an interesting comparison. The Drobo is a Firewire 400/800 USB 2 storage device, kind of like a Lacie (but better). NO ONE could do uncompressed HD or 2K or multi stream playback on a Drobo. It's a back up device, that can operate like a regular drive, but it's not designed for hi speed editing. Nor does the company claim this.

The Maxx Digital arrays (like the EVO2) can be compared (positive or negative) to products from G-Tech, Dulce, Cal Digit, Promise, Sonnet, and a small handful of other hi end manufacturers. The Drobo is a FIREWIRE OR USB DEVICE. It simply cannot perform the way that any SAS/SASA, Fibre Channel, or even old SCSI product can perform.

So how does it compare to the Maxx Digital array - it doesn't. As the expression goes - it's like comparing Apples to Oranges.

I am sure that the Drobo works well for the application it was designed for - I believe that you are in the footage archive business, and not in the editing business - I am sure the Drobo is the right product for your application - and at the right price.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]