FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Share type system with Avid

COW Forums : Maxx Digital

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Castle
Final Share type system with Avid
on Nov 19, 2011 at 7:25:04 am

I have a Final Share type setup in my studio. Everything is happy... various MacPros and iMacs all pulling 100MB/s. We've been using FCP7, but now we're moving to MC5.5 and MC6. I noticed on the Maxx website that the system only works with one Avid. Is this still true? I'm trying to figure out why it would matter. My best guess is that once a location is chosen for managed media, other workstations can't select the same volume for their managed media. If that's true, then I'm wondering if creating separate folders on the RAID (and sharing them out) would solve the problem. In other words, instead of mounting the main RAID on a workstation via AFP, we would mount shared folders from the RAID on each workstation... which would then be selected as the Avid managed media location.

Without going into much detail, our main SAN/network goal is to allow any project to be opened and edited from any machine in the studio. I understand that this is a bit different than the usual goal of simultaneous capture/edit/playback of shared media.

Thanks in advance,

~jeff

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Final Share type system with Avid
on Nov 19, 2011 at 4:52:38 pm

[Jeff Castle] "My best guess is that once a location is chosen for managed media, other workstations can't select the same volume for their managed media."

We've been testing this with our Small Tree Ethernet SAN and it's working just fine as I mentioned in my review here on the Cow. Now we have our 48TB RAID split into four partitions anyway to allow us to somewhat delegate the various partitions to suites.

But in beta testing Avid Media Composer 6 for a few months now, we have had two edit suites capturing / editing to the exact same partition. We've run into two minor problems.

When both were capturing at the exact time, we've gotten a few "Resource Not Available" errors at the end of a capture. We think this happens when both machines finish a capture at the exact same time. Simply re-do the capture and all is well.

On a couple of start-ups, one or the other Avid will come up with "Media Offline." Simply trash the database file on the RAID and it rebuilds the database.

Both are minor issues. I would NOT recommend more than 2 edit systems using the same SAN partition as their primary capture / edit locations. You can probably get away with 3 but without the Avid Unity media management system in place, you probably want to keep it pretty simple. That's what most folks, including broadcasters, are talking about doing.

Full article is right here including how to enable the SAN so it shows up correctly.

http://library.creativecow.net/biscardi_walter/Avid-Media-Composer-6/1

Everything should translate to the Maxx Digital system as well. Avid offers a 30 day free trial so my advice is to install MC6 and then test, test, and test some more.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Jeff Castle
on Dec 3, 2011 at 6:11:45 pm

You guys are always so efficient. Thanks for this reply, Walter; It is exactly the type of answer I was looking for.

We may go ahead and push it a bit... 4 edit locations per partition. We edit concurrently much more than we capture concurrently. And, actually, we hardly ever capture from tape. The majority of our workflow involves linking to AMA AVCHD/P2 clips, and then transcoding them to the managed media location @ DNxHD145 before beginning the edit. In the back of my head, I'm wondering if the "Resource Not Available" error will rear its head during Consolidate/Transcode, or if its limited primarily to capturing.

The full article to which you linked was also really helpful. Man, between the promising outlook of this endeavor, and that fancy HP supplement that just showed up in the mail, I'm starting to feel like our move back to Avid wasn't such a rash decision.

~Jeff

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 4, 2011 at 6:25:21 pm

[Jeff Castle] "The full article to which you linked was also really helpful. Man, between the promising outlook of this endeavor, and that fancy HP supplement that just showed up in the mail, I'm starting to feel like our move back to Avid wasn't such a rash decision."

Yeah, HP is definitely looking promising as a Mac Pro replacement moving forward.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"This American Land" - our new PBS Series.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Ron Amborn
on Nov 19, 2011 at 6:17:02 pm

Hello Jeff
I would be happy to put you in contact with Bob Zelin who is the designer of(FINAL SHARE TM) and share some info about how we are sharing with Avid and Final Cut files. My email is ron@maxxdigital.com and bobz@maxxdigital.com. Looking forward to sharing some notes.

Sincerely,
Ron Amborn President
Maxx Entertainment Digital
21562 Newland Street
Huntington Beach , Ca 92646
Direct 714-374-4944
Cell 714-713-4492 Fax 714-374-3404
ron@maxxdigital.com
http://www.maxxdigital.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved