FORUMS: list search recent posts

Euphonix control surfaces on Final Share?

COW Forums : Maxx Digital

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Mees
Euphonix control surfaces on Final Share?
on Apr 5, 2011 at 2:54:21 am

Hi All
Am looking at the possibility of setting up a Gig E based SAN to serve 2 permanent FCP edit seats + 2 ad hoc FCP edit seats. The MAXX Digital Final Share solution seems to fit the bill and would certainly simplify the process rather than having the engineering team here reinvent the wheel. That said, we're not in the US so that might affect final decisions. But anyway, I digress ... really I'm only just beginning to dip my toe in here as theres a huge amount I have yet to understand about how such systems work ... for example, given we're talking about ethernet here, I'm wondering how such a system would cope with having multiple ethernet based control surfaces (Avid Artist nee Euphonix MC series) on the same network. Is the storage network wholly separate from the "normal" network, will one nee additional ethernet cards at each FCP suite, or would such controllers plug directly into the switch?
Thanks for any insight and pointers to more info.
Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index

Kyle Lodge
Re: Euphonix control surfaces on Final Share?
on Apr 5, 2011 at 3:41:46 am

Hey Andy,

There is definitely some advantages to the Maxx Digital Final Share and some limitations that I'd be more than happy to discuss with you.

Contact me here at Kyle@maxxdigital.com and I'll tell you more about our system.

Cheers Andy

Kyle Lodge

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 5, 2011 at 4:18:50 pm

theres a huge amount I have yet to understand about how such systems work ... for example, given we're talking about ethernet here, I'm wondering how such a system would cope with having multiple ethernet based control surfaces (Avid Artist nee Euphonix MC series) on the same network. Is the storage network wholly separate from the "normal" network, will one nee additional ethernet cards at each FCP suite, or would such controllers plug directly into the switch?

REPLY -
Hi Andy -
this is a great question. Final Share requires a seperate DEDICATED network to operate, so you can play back HD video over ethernet. So your question is "well, how do I plug in the Euphonix MC series controllers, if you can't plug it in to the Final Share network?" - simple - SEPERATE NETWORK. Mac Pro's have 2 ethernet ports - we use one for Final Share, and we use the other for normal network connection - for things like internet access, office intranet, and yes, the Euphonix MC controller series. All the normal network stuff runs on one network, and Final Share (with it's dedicated switch) runs on the other network. This means TWO ethernet cables per MAC.

So for the MAC Pro, this is easy. We often put in a dedicated ethernet card into one of the PCIe slots of the MAC Pro. But what about MAC's with only one ethernet port, like the iMAC. We must use the dedicated native ethernet port on the iMAC. If you want to use the Euphonix on an iMAC (which requires a hard wire connection, and not Airport), you need a USB to Ethernet adaptor (about $29 US) to hook up the Euphonix to an iMAC, if you are using Final Share. Currently the only MacBook Pro that this can easily work with is the 17" Mac Book Pro, becuase there is one native port (for the Euphonix) and we would add a slot 34 to ethernet adaptor to a 17" Mac Book Pro, allowing us to have a dedicated ethernet port for final Share. This slot 34 adaptor is $79.

In summary, Final Share requires a DEDICATED NETWORK to operate. We are pushing the limits of what ethernet can do, and we need all the bandwidth, with no other traffic on the network to accomplish this. We can do everything up to ProRes4444 on every MAC FCP system, but we can't have anything else running on the network.

Each client can get up to 90MB/sec (we guarantee 70MB/sec, but we see 90 -100 with AJA System Test).
And since ProRes422HQ is 30MB/sec, and ProRes4444 is 41MB/sec, this is no issue for us, for up to 10 clients (all MAC).

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Apr 5, 2011 at 4:28:01 pm

Thanks Bob, thats an excellent explainer. I've sent some questions to Kyle off list but you've gone a long way towards answering the tech content of those questions, its much appreciated.
Cheers
Andy

Return to posts index

Ron Amborn
on Apr 5, 2011 at 4:34:59 pm

Hello Andy
Please feel free to contact me as well. I am am available to you by phone or email anytime. ron@maxxdigital.com or my cell is 714-713-4492. Thank you for giving Maxx Digital a chance to help with your Post Production needs.

Sincerely,
Ron Amborn President
Maxx Entertainment Digital
21562 Newland Street
Huntington Beach , Ca 92646
Direct 714-374-4944
Cell 714-713-4492 Fax 714-374-3404
ron@maxxdigital.com
http://www.maxxdigital.com

Return to posts index

Warren Eig
on Apr 5, 2011 at 4:47:50 pm

And Andy,

The Final Share system works great. Two features edited on it last year without a hiccup. I was playing back the same Red file on two computers both L&T in Final Cut to ProRes from a McDonald's commercial and they played without a problem.

Warren Eig
O 310-470-0905

email: warren@babyboompictures.com

http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/AFX.html
http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/KnitWits_Movie.html
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0251670/

EDITING REEL: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Editing_Reel.html
TITLE DESIGN: http://www.babyboompictures.com/BabyBoomPictures/Titles_Reel.html

Return to posts index

Andy Mees
on Apr 7, 2011 at 2:34:40 pm

Hey Bob
I do have another couple of quick question if I may. I believe I understand that Final Share uses server side link aggregation to provide data transfer from the storage to the switch at speeds fast enough to allow a guaranteed 70MB/s per client, with up to 10 clients. My first question then: Can Final Share also support client side link aggregation to increase guaranteed speeds where installed in a facility engineered specifically to support fewer than 10 seats? With the setup I'm looking at over here I'm really only needing to support 2 permanent seats with perhaps the capacity to support up to 2 ad hoc seats ... that leaves the capacity for an additional 6 seats unused. Would I be able to add. for example, 4 port Gig E cards on the clients and then use link aggregation on those client side to potentially boost guaranteed throughput up to 4x? My second question, is with regard to usage of the Final Share server itself, and simply whether it is possible to use the Final Share server itself as an active client on the SAN? Am wondering specifically whether it could be utilized in a secondary function as an ingest station or whether the demands of serving the network preclude its use for nay other function.
Thanks in advance, and apologies if these are questions that have been asked and answered many time before.
Cheers
Andy

EDIT: Just did a quick browse of the forum and see that utilizing the server for ingest does appear to be supported. Also that you're featuring support for Softron's Movie Recorder Pro software at NAB2011 ... very interested in the possibility of adding that to the mix.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 7, 2011 at 4:25:27 pm

I understand that Final Share uses server side link aggregation to provide data transfer from the storage to the switch at speeds fast enough to allow a guaranteed 70MB/s per client, with up to 10 clients. My first question then: Can Final Share also support client side link aggregation to increase guaranteed speeds where installed in a facility engineered specifically to support fewer than 10 seats? With the setup I'm looking at over here I'm really only needing to support 2 permanent seats with perhaps the capacity to support up to 2 ad hoc seats ... that leaves the capacity for an additional 6 seats unused. Would I be able to add. for example, 4 port Gig E cards on the clients and then use link aggregation on those client side to potentially boost guaranteed throughput up to 4x?

REPLY - no. You can't increase the speed to one client - if you have 1 client or 10 clients, it's the same speed, and you can't link agg the client. At NAB, we will show the new 10Gig solution, which does not use link agg, but gives better performance and more streams. But still 70MB/sec (it's actually 90 MB/sec, but we play it safe in print).

My second question, is with regard to usage of the Final Share server itself, and simply whether it is possible to use the Final Share server itself as an active client on the SAN?

REPLY - NO NO NO NO NO. You cannot touch the server, unless no one else is using it as a file server. Is this a waste of $3000 for a MAC - that's the way it goes. If no one else is editing, you can use the server mac for whatever you want, but the second FCP Edit 1 starts to read media off the server, DO NOT USE THE SERVER for anything, or you will get drop frame errors.

Am wondering specifically whether it could be utilized in a secondary function as an ingest station or whether the demands of serving the network preclude its use for nay other function.

REPLY - no, you cannot use it as an injest station while others are using it to edit. We have many churches that put an AJA card in the server, capture the entire sermon directly into the server shared volume. Then the second the sermon is over, everyone can start to edit (but now, you can't touch the server for anything).

Thanks in advance, and apologies if these are questions that have been asked and answered many time before.

REPLY -it's better to ask now, pre sale, than after you buy the system, and are disappointed. Ask anything you want.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]