FORUMS: list search recent posts

New maxx digital build..i need some advice

COW Forums : Maxx Digital

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nic Casoria
New maxx digital build..i need some advice
on Mar 16, 2011 at 12:12:49 am

Hey guys,

I'm helping my church upgrade from SD to HD and I'm looking for some advice/suggestions.

What we're doing:
Sermons are being recorded live to DVC for archives/physical backup and external hard drive for editing on a laptop. It's pretty basic and simple at the moment, but we are upgrading hardcore equipment wise AND content wise as we have been picked up for more air time.

What I'm thinking:
To start picking up an Octo-core FCP machine as the primary edit machine. Use the FCP laptop for our on location shoots and an assist editor. Also we're getting an iMac for our ProPresenter for the new HD projector screens we are getting. What i'm thinking is to set up a 8TB Final Share system so that both FCP machines, iMac, and Pastor's MacBook can access all the files for read/write access.

What do the Guru's of Infinite Knowledge think? After reading Walter Biscardi's post on his final share setup i'm thinking that this is the system that we want. It will handle what we're doing and will handle future upgrades/expansion.

Questions i have:

Does this seem like it'll be better than getting a Fibre channel?

Will we just add an AJA to the server comp to record to the raid HDs live? or do it through the editor?

Return to posts index

john gyldstrand
Re: New maxx digital build..i need some advice
on Mar 16, 2011 at 12:31:53 am

Nic,
Contact me directly and I can answer all of your FinalShare questions.

All the best
John Gyldstrand
Maxx Digital
714 374 4944

Return to posts index

john gyldstrand
on Mar 16, 2011 at 12:44:01 am

Nic,
We have FinalShare implemented at several churches throughout the U.S.
and Internationally as well. I can put you in touch with any of our clients to get you first hand information if you like. As far as the comparison to Fibre , Finalshare is a much more cost effective shared storage solution. That being said it does have some limitations that I can discuss with you. I would like to contact you directly along with Bob Zelin so that we may answer all of your questions.

Feel free to call or email me anytime.
Best,
John Gyldstrand
johng@maxxdigital.com
O 714-317-4944
C 714 206-1367

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 16, 2011 at 2:43:51 pm

Hi Nic -
I will respond to your questions below -

To start picking up an Octo-core FCP machine as the primary edit machine. Use the FCP laptop for our on location shoots and an assist editor. Also we're getting an iMac for our ProPresenter for the new HD projector screens we are getting. What i'm thinking is to set up a 8TB Final Share system so that both FCP machines, iMac, and Pastor's MacBook can access all the files for read/write access.

REPLY - this will absolutely work with Final Share. You can record your sermons directly into the shared storage system, and right after the sermon, you can start editing instantly, because the media will be recorded directly from your camera, or video switcher, right onto the shared storage volume. You can have up to 10 MAC's hooked up to this system, so your OctoCore FCP machine, your iMAC, and your MacBook Pro (and 7 more MACs) can ALL be hooked up to the Final Share system, and ALL of them can work on the sermon, all at the EXACT SAME TIME.

You write -
It will handle what we're doing and will handle future pgrades/expansion.

REPLY - you seem to currently have 3 MAC's - the OctoCore, the iMAC and the laptop - so will it handle future expansion and upgrades - YES, up to 7 more computers, and you have to pay NOTHING to do this, because Final Share comes ready to do 10 MACs when you purchase it.
The only thing you will pay for is additional disk drive storage, as you expand your system. For example, if you start with 16 TB, and you want to add another 16TB, all you buy is an expansion chassis for the storage. You can do this EIGHT times (we support 8 drive chassis total).

Questions i have:

Does this seem like it'll be better than getting a Fibre channel?

REPLY - our ethernet system does 90MB/sec per client. DVCProHD is 14.4 MB/sec. ProRes422 is 20MB/sec, and ProRes422HQ is 30MB/sec. So you can have EVERYONE (all 10 MACs) all playing the sermon, all at the exact same time, and it will work JUST WITH ETHERNET. And if you are still nervous about this, our new product for NAB 2011 will be a 10Gig ethernet system, that can do uncompressed HD - you don't need to spend the extra money for your application, but if you want to spend your money - we have something that you can buy - the new 10Gig ethernet solution. But as I said, it's really a waste of your money for this application, because all you need is regular ethernet.

Will we just add an AJA to the server comp to record to the raid HDs live? or do it through the editor?

REPLY - you can do either. It's nice to stick an AJA Kona into the server, to directly record the sermon, and the second it's done, you can start editing your show. And if this is not fast enough, at NAB 2011, we will have a relationship with our neighbor at NAB - Softron - that makes amazing software that works with our system. It will allow you to record the sermon, and AS IT IS RECORDING (while you are still in CAPTURE NOW), you can start editing. This is similar to Telestream Pipeline, but it's just a $1500 piece of software that is amazing that works with the Kona card, that will allow you to start editing WHILE THE SERMON IS STILL BEING RECORDED !

But if you can wait until the end of the sermon - then all you need is the AJA card in the MAC. You can just use AJA VTR XChange (free) to record the media, and once you are done, all the media is ready to edit.

Here is a picture of Campus Crusade for Christ's machine room, with the Final Share system in it -
its the 4th photo down on this link -

http://www.bobzelin.com/featured-client

Return to posts index

Nic Casoria
on Mar 16, 2011 at 3:09:31 pm

/bow

I'M NOT WORTHY I'M NOT WORTHY

This is the PERFECT system for us. Between you and John I've gotten all the information i need. If you guys could send me a quote so i can submit it We'll get this show on the road.

Return to posts index

Ron Amborn
on Mar 16, 2011 at 4:10:27 pm

Thank you Nic
i will make sure John G. gets you a quote today. We look forward to helping you with your storage needs.

Sincerely,
Ron Amborn President
Maxx Entertainment Digital
21562 Newland Street
Huntington Beach , Ca 92646
Direct 714-374-4944
Cell 714-713-4492 Fax 714-374-3404
ron@maxxdigital.com
http://www.maxxdigital.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved