FORUMS: list search recent posts

RAID speed test

COW Forums : Maxx Digital

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Mohr
RAID speed test
on Mar 4, 2011 at 8:25:48 pm

I recently ran the PPBM CS5 Benchmark and was told that with my set-up I should be getting much better results in the Disk I/O. I was wondering if there is any RAID testing software to determine my I/O speeds and if I'm getting bad results who could I talk to to tune up the RAID. I have an Areca 1880x controller and a MAXX EVO2 HD 8 drive 4TB. I'm running Win 7 64 bit.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: RAID speed test
on Mar 4, 2011 at 9:55:44 pm

is this a new purchase from Maxx Digital ? You can use AJA System Test, but I don't understand ? You have an 8 bay 4 TB Maxx chassis ? Is this an old chassis ?

You get no additional performance from the old 3Gig Chassis with 3Gig SATA drives. To get the Areca 1880 to do it's amazing speeds, you need a 6 Gig drive chassis, and 6 Gig SATA drives, which just came out. There are no 500 Gig 6Gig SATA drives. Exactly what do you own, and when did you get it ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Michael Mohr
on Mar 4, 2011 at 10:10:21 pm

Bob,

Thanks for the reply. We got this about 2 years ago. It's a MAXX Evo2 HD. Here's a link to what we have.
http://maxxdigital.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=58_104&products_id=479&o...

When we first purchased it we had to go with a PCIx card because we didn't have an open PCIe slot. We just got a new system that only had PCIe slots so we needed a new controller card. MAXX recommended the 1880 because it would also serve us in the future.

I'm pretty sure that something is weird with it's setup because I did have some trouble. Win 7 didn't recognize it because it was set up as a something other than a simple volume (I can't remember what it was.

I'll try the AJA system test and see what kind of results I get.Now that you have mentioned that, I'm pretty sure that's what I used when I first got the RAID and I actually remember the results.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Mar 7, 2011 at 2:52:10 am

The Areca 1880 is not going to work. You have an Areca 1120ML, which uses both busses of your host controller card to the chassis. The modern chassis only use one single cable to the chassis (like the Areca 1680), and the Areca 1880 is the 6 Gig version of that.

Bottom line, it's not going to work, and your chassis is a 3 Gig chassis.

To work with the new wonderful speeds that you read about with the Areca 1880, you need a new 6 Gig chassis, and new 6 Gig SATA drives.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Michael Mohr
on Mar 7, 2011 at 3:20:08 am

Bob,

As far as not working, what exactly do you mean? Do you mean it doesn't work at all (which it seems to be doing considering my drive is there and I can read and write to it) or do you mean I'm just not going to get the speeds that a 6 gig can offer. Kyle from MAXX recommended this card to me and he helped me set it up. I assume that I'm still getting the 3 gig speeds. Hopefully I'll be able to talk to Kyle on Monday and see what's going on. The 1880 has 2 cable slots and both cables go to the RAID.

Return to posts index

Michael Mohr
on Mar 9, 2011 at 6:40:46 pm

Well after working with Kyle at MAXX we basically reinstalled the RAID. It turns out there were some settings that were initially incorrect. AJA speed test shows I'm getting read write speeds on par of what they should be. HDTach still shows wild fluctuations for read speeds. Nothing even close to a sustained speed. I know the EVO2 HD went from having Seagate drives (Which I have) to Hitachis because of Seagate quality issues. Who knows, this could also be the cause of the I/O fluctuations.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]