FORUMS: list search recent posts

Drive reliability

COW Forums : Maxx Digital

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Mohr
Drive reliability
on Jan 5, 2011 at 5:35:51 pm

I first want to say that I am very pleased with the overall operation of my EVO 2 HD raid and the service I get from MAXX Digital. However since the purchase of our RAID (8 bay 4TB) a little under 2 years ago, I am beginning to wonder if Seagate is having a quality issue. We are currently sending in our 4th drive to be replaced/repaired. In comparison we have 2 Medea Raids that were purchased close to 10 years ago and it wasn't until just recently that one had to have a drive replaced. Have you seen a trend in Seagate drive replacements? Just curious as it seems every 6 months we have had a drive die.

Return to posts index

Ron Amborn
Re: Drive reliability
on Jan 5, 2011 at 6:06:00 pm

Hello Michael
Hello Michael
I am sorry you are having Seagate issues. We at Maxx Digital have switched to Hitachi on most of our Raids due to Seagate’s inability to provide us with the service we demand for our customers. With that said Seagate did have a run of drives about 2 years ago that had timeout issues.
The sad part was that they were never clear on which drives were affected. We sent a blast email out but the only way to know for sure is that the drive would fail. I will check to see if Seagate has posted the bad serial numbers on their site. It may be a good Idea to just change out all of your drives when you have a break in work.We are here if you need anything from us.

Sincerely,
Ron Amborn President
Maxx Entertainment Digital
21562 Newland Street
Huntington Beach , Ca 92646
Direct 714-374-4944
Cell 714-713-4492 Fax 714-374-3404
ron@maxxdigital.com
http://www.maxxdigital.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jan 5, 2011 at 9:26:47 pm

Hi Michael -
up until Jan 2009, Maxx Digital used nothing but Seagate drives. Around that time, something bad happened at Seagate, and we were bombarded by failures. We called our "friendly" competition, and they too were experiencing the same failure rates. Maxx Digital, and most other professional companies that make hi end drive arrays now only use Hitachi or Western Digital Enterprise series drives. Do the Seagates suck - yes, they do. So what is Maxx Digital going to do about this - absolutly nothing - we are in the same boat that Cal Digit, Sonnet, G-Tech and others are in - we no longer use Seagate drives. If this was a car company like Toyota, there would be class action suits against them - but this is not public safety, so the consumer gets screwed. I have used Seagate ONLY for 100% of my career with NLE editing systems, and they were perfect. But something bad started to happen a couple of years ago at the Seagate factory, and it's never been the same. Some people say that everything is just fine with Seagate drives today, and that the problems are gone - I just don't want to be the guinea pig to find out that our professional clients are suffering with inferior drives. In a million years I never dreamed that this would happen - I had 100% loyalty to Seagate, but after getting screwed over and over again - you eventually just give up .

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Michael Mohr
on Jan 5, 2011 at 9:48:03 pm

Ron and Bob,

Thanks for the information. It's nice to know it's not anything I'm doing wrong... I am wondering, when one of the segates dies and I send it in, does it get replaced with another seagate as in the past or will it be replaced with one of the Hitachi or WD's? Can that even be done? If so, would it be wise to replace my current drives over a period of time with them? I'm just worried that with the batch I have this is going to continue happening ever 4 to 6 months. I also don't want to have to replace them all at once because of both monetary and logitical reasons.

Mike M.

Return to posts index

Ron Amborn
on Jan 5, 2011 at 9:54:04 pm

Michael
Michael
You will get a Seagate replacement. The drive will be different from Seagate and should have no further problems as this was a one time occurrence so the replacement drive should be fine.

Sincerely,
Ron Amborn President
21562 Newland Street
Direct 714-374-4944
ron@maxxdigital.com

Return to posts index

Devon Cook
on Jan 6, 2011 at 12:17:09 am

Michael,

Click on the link below and right after a few paragraphs you will see two options. Option 2 takes you to a screen to use your S/N to check your firmware.

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=207931

If you have any problems give the office a call 714-374-4944

Cheers,

Devon

Return to posts index

Eric Cox
on Jan 8, 2011 at 6:40:42 am

There are some major firmware issues with those Seagate disks and it wasn't limited to a particular disk size release. However, it did start with the 500GB Barracuda disks.

These issues are decreased by going with the complete latest firmware, but in some cases the controller needs updated firmware to recognize the drive. Depending on the particular raid controller used this might also modify the total available space. (This can result in out of bounds sector errors).

Now, this kinda thing happens every so often and before Seagate had a major issue there were some kinks with some WD drives. In the case of WD the issues were restricted to a specific release and corrected with a firmware release. However, I remember just being completely miffed by how poorly it was handled and how many firmware revisions just poured out. Even worse was it really doesn't look like it helped that much.

Now, in cases of vendor provided disks you may not want to go tinkering. Much like the previous poster stated they are swapping out for Hitachi. The moral of the story is you should always have backups and ensure you can recover from a disaster quickly.

Return to posts index

Ron Amborn
on Jan 8, 2011 at 9:09:16 pm

Eric
Well put and the bottom line is to have a back up plan for your back up.The redundancy is key for survival.

Sincerely,
Ron Amborn President
21562 Newland Street
Direct 714-374-4944
ron@maxxdigital.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved