FORUMS: list search recent posts

3TB Hitachis in an EVO RM Enclosure?

COW Forums : Maxx Digital

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruce Colgate
3TB Hitachis in an EVO RM Enclosure?
on Dec 30, 2010 at 5:54:01 am

Howdy, and Happiest of New Year wishes!

We have an EVO 8 bay RM unit, populated with 1TB drives.

I seem to recall that it might have been possible to repopulate with 2TB drives, but in the interest of trying to stretch a good thing -

Is is possible to repopulate the EVO with the new 3TB Hitachi drives, and still have similar reliability?

I suspect it will not be able to take advantage of SATA III bandwidth, but accepting that limitation, is it bad to want more?

With thanks,

- Bruce Colgate

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: 3TB Hitachis in an EVO RM Enclosure?
on Dec 30, 2010 at 1:38:33 pm

well, considering that the only 3TB drives available are the 5400RPM "Green" drives, and you need 7200rpm enterprise drives to run a professional raid, the answer WILL BE YES, when they come out.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bruce Colgate
on Dec 30, 2010 at 2:51:10 pm

The Hitachi 7K3000 is a 7200RPM drive, but I assume that because it is not Enterprise class, that striping for RAID 5 or 6 will be an issue, because the Areca card (v1.43) pays attention to the TLER/ERC/CCTL response?

Thanks,

- Bruce Colgate

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 30, 2010 at 3:31:35 pm

I don't know the answer to this question. What is your rush to be the first kid on the block with 3TB drives ?

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bruce Colgate
on Dec 30, 2010 at 3:48:52 pm

No rush, other than clients always want us to have more space available to them, but don't want to pay for it.

And if I have to add more space, why wouldn't I want to be as efficient and foresightful as possible?

The EVO is not our only array (it's one of 4), but I like its design the best.

I have one 7K3000 coming in tomorrow for testing, and if things check out, I might build a small Areca-based array and see what happens - poke at it a bit, make it fail, and see what happens. But if Maxx Digital has already tested this configuration, it would be helpful to know.

With thanks (and respect),

- Bruce Colgate

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 30, 2010 at 6:40:27 pm

we are currently testing, and we still don't know.
We tested Seagates again, also - boy, the host adaptor companies do not like Seagate, that's for sure. Stick with Hitachi or WD.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bruce Colgate
on Dec 30, 2010 at 7:36:28 pm

Agreed. Hitachi or WD.

Will let you know what I find.

BTW, Smalltree & Edge-corE still working just fine.

All the Best,

- Bruce Colgate

Return to posts index

Steve Modica
on Dec 30, 2010 at 7:44:17 pm

The 3TB Hitachis I'm aware of are Deskstars and do not have rotational vibration sensors.

Steve Modica
CTO, Small Tree Communications

Return to posts index

Ron Amborn
on Dec 30, 2010 at 7:59:16 pm

Hey Bruce
The answer is yes they will work. We have been testing them with our new 6GIG Chassis and the ATTO R680 card. And yes to Steve's reply that they are not Enterprise level as of Yet. I am getting Enterprise level units for qual in the first week of January so stand by for the results which we are sure will be positive. The non Enterprise do work but Maxx Digital along with several of our partners chooses to use only the Enterprise class for several reasons.
When you see a cheaper solution it is because they are using Non Enterprise drives. I wont name any but you can see by their low prices and lack of presence in the market. We can help you with 3TB drives but just know it is not what we recommend.We are seeing faster speeds even with Non Enterprise SATA. Happy New Year to all.

Sincerely,
Ron Amborn President
Maxx Entertainment Digital
21562 Newland Street
Huntington Beach , Ca 92646
Direct 714-374-4944
Cell 714-713-4492 Fax 714-374-3404
ron@maxxdigital.com
http://www.maxxdigital.com

Return to posts index

Bruce Colgate
on Dec 30, 2010 at 8:48:19 pm

Hi Ron,

So maybe we should consider waiting for the Enterprise class, and see if you'll let us attach an R680 and retire the Areca to a workstation (read as: we really like the 8 bay RM configuartion). Does the 680 use the same I2C signalling as Areca's?

- Bruce Colgate

Return to posts index

Ron Amborn
on Dec 30, 2010 at 11:18:51 pm

yes we can do that in 30 days or so.You would also need another SAS expander because your current one is only 3 GIG.i will let you know the test results.

Sincerely,
Ron Amborn President
Maxx Entertainment Digital
21562 Newland Street
Huntington Beach , Ca 92646
Direct 714-374-4944
Cell 714-713-4492 Fax 714-374-3404
ron@maxxdigital.com
http://www.maxxdigital.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved