FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Share Problems

COW Forums : Maxx Digital

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marc Story
Final Share Problems
on Dec 29, 2010 at 10:07:29 pm

My company recently installed a Final Share system for 3 FCP suites. Two of the systems, an Intel MacPro 4-core and a MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo, are working great. My system, A MacPro 8-core Nehalem, is regularly getting kicked off the server.

We fixed the Jumbo Frames issue a while ago and installed a PEG-1 card, the the problems persist. At this point, I can't use the Final Share server.

I have been working with my installer, W. H. Platts, and they seem to think I have a bad PEG-6 card in the server. Bob Zelin spent some time troubleshooting and moved me to another port on the PEG-6 card, but this did not fix the problem. Is it possible that I do have a bad card, but it only affects me and not the other suites?

Besides the PEG-1 card, my MacPro has a KONA LHi and 2 graphics cards (I am using 2 24-inch LED cinema displays). An ATI Radeon HD 4870 and a NVIDIA GeForce GT 120. Memory is 16 GB RAM. Running OSX 10.5.8 and Final Cut Studio 3.

This may not be an issue with Final Share, but I have heard running 2 graphics cards can cause issues with FCP, so I have ordered a Gefen DVI to DisplayPort adapter so I can run both monitors off the Radeon card. I will try anything to fix this problem.

Any ideas?

Marc Story
Editor
Firstline Creative
Atlanta, GA

Return to posts index

Ron Amborn
Re: Final Share Problems
on Dec 29, 2010 at 10:58:09 pm

Mark
I will have Bob Zelin call you ASAP. And i will also put the word out and see if another customer has had the same problem. PleaseStand by.

Sincerely,
Ron Amborn President
Maxx Entertainment Digital
21562 Newland Street
Huntington Beach , Ca 92646
Direct 714-374-4944
Cell 714-713-4492 Fax 714-374-3404
ron@maxxdigital.com
http://www.maxxdigital.com

Return to posts index

Marc Story
on Dec 30, 2010 at 7:16:40 pm

Thanks Ron. Bob called me right after I left last night and I have been in contact with him all day today. I should have called him direct, but I was trying to handle it with my local vendor. Now I know better.

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 31, 2010 at 12:38:13 pm

[Marc Story] "but I was trying to handle it with my local vendor. Now I know better."

I will say that WH Platts is an outstanding vendor. We only purchase our gear directly from them mainly because of the customer service after the sale.

In the case of Final Share, Bob Zelin is definitely the person who should get the first call however as he has the most experience in the field with troubleshooting these systems.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" Winner, Best Documentary, LA Reel Film Festival...

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 31, 2010 at 5:24:20 pm

for the record, Maxx Digital and Bob Zelin
officially endorse WH Platts, which is a great dealership to work with.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Ron Amborn
on Dec 31, 2010 at 7:05:15 pm

All
I absolutely agree with Bob. WH Platts is our premier Reseller in the Atlanta area and anyone in that area looking for Maxx Digital Final Share or any other Maxx Digital solution should contact DavidS@whplatts.com or Tripw@whplatts.com for any sales questions.
We also are good support partners and will always welcome direct support calls for dealers like WH Platts. Happy New Year and may 20011 be your most successful year ever.

Sincerely,
Ron Amborn President
Maxx Entertainment Digital
21562 Newland Street
Huntington Beach , Ca 92646
Direct 714-374-4944
Cell 714-713-4492 Fax 714-374-3404
ron@maxxdigital.com
http://www.maxxdigital.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Final Share Problems - reply
on Dec 30, 2010 at 12:28:34 am

Hi Marc - replies below

My company recently installed a Final Share system for 3 FCP suites. Two of the systems, an Intel MacPro 4-core and a MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo, are working great. My system, A MacPro 8-core Nehalem, is regularly getting kicked off the server.

We fixed the Jumbo Frames issue a while ago and installed a PEG-1 card, the the problems persist. At this point, I can't use the Final Share server.

REPLY - I am confused. You can't use the Final Share server at all, or you can't use it on your one client ? When I spoke to you last week, you had a bad port. We changed the port, and everything was ok. What happened? You know, you can call me !

I have been working with my installer, W. H. Platts, and they seem to think I have a bad PEG-6 card in the server. Bob Zelin spent some time troubleshooting and moved me to another port on the PEG-6 card, but this did not fix the problem. Is it possible that I do have a bad card, but it only affects me and not the other suites?

REPLY - when I spoke to you, you had a bad port. It would not work at all. Now you say that it "disconnects", and it's only disconnecting to the one client. You can simply move your laptop over to this position, and plug in your laptop and see if you can connect. This will tell you in 2 seconds if it's the Final share PEG6 card, or your MAC Pro computer. AGain, you said that you are "disconnecting" - when I spoke with you on the phone, you said that you could not even connect - and I saw that, and we determined that you had a bad port.

Besides the PEG-1 card, my MacPro has a KONA LHi and 2 graphics cards (I am using 2 24-inch LED cinema displays). An ATI Radeon HD 4870 and a NVIDIA GeForce GT 120. Memory is 16 GB RAM. Running OSX 10.5.8 and Final Cut Studio 3.

REPLY - your PEG1 card must be in slot 4 or slot 4. I ASSUME that your 2 graphics cards are in slot 1 and slot 2, and your Kona LHi is in slot 3 and your PEG1 card is in slot 4 (this is in my notes when I spoke to you). This is the correct setup. There is nothing wrong with having 2 graphics cards in your system.

This may not be an issue with Final Share, but I have heard running 2 graphics cards can cause issues with FCP, so I have ordered a Gefen DVI to DisplayPort adapter so I can run both monitors off the Radeon card. I will try anything to fix this problem.

REPLY - I know exactly what you should try. You should CALL ME - my CEL # is (407) 257 9157. When you have a product failure, your first response is to call me, and if I dont' call you back, you call your dealer (WH Platts) and yell at them. I am here night and day to assist you. I will call you tomorrow. I just tried calling you right now (7:30pm), but your office was closed.

Talk to you tomorrow -

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Dec 30, 2010 at 2:52:45 am

[Marc Story] "Besides the PEG-1 card, my MacPro has a KONA LHi and 2 graphics cards (I am using 2 24-inch LED cinema displays). An ATI Radeon HD 4870 and a NVIDIA GeForce GT 120. Memory is 16 GB RAM. Running OSX 10.5.8 and Final Cut Studio 3."

Final Cut Studio does not generally like having two graphics cards in one machine. It is known to cause all sorts of stability issues.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" Winner, Best Documentary, LA Reel Film Festival...

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 30, 2010 at 6:42:09 pm

Although it's too soon to say, it looks like the ONLY problem with Marc Story's system is that he had QMaster turned on, on the one client computer that was not working. We did the usual repair permissions, etc. but it looks like turning off QMaster resolved the entire problem. I will follow up later, when I have better results, with a longer period of time than one hour to say "it's fixed".

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Marc Story
on Dec 30, 2010 at 7:10:31 pm

Thank you all for responding and thank you Bob for your help. I promise to call you first if there are any other issues.

About Qmaster - no-one told me that this was an issue with Final Share. I didn't even know that it was running on my system. I promise never to run Qmaster again unless I am unplugged from the server.

I will continue editing on this machine and report back after the holidays (we are closed tomorrow.

Have a great weekend!

Marc Story

Return to posts index

Marc Story
on Dec 30, 2010 at 7:13:35 pm

I have got a Gefen adapter coming next week so I can run both of my displays off of the Radeon card.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 30, 2010 at 8:10:31 pm

Hi Marc -
I am glad this was resolved quickly. Next time you have a problem - just call my CEL phone - you see how quickly things can get resolved without a panic.

BobZelin

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]