FORUMS: list search recent posts

Red Rocket and Maxx Digital Mobile Rocket Raid By Steve freebairn

COW Forums : Maxx Digital

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ron Amborn
Red Rocket and Maxx Digital Mobile Rocket Raid By Steve freebairn
on Oct 16, 2010 at 12:09:31 am

I've had the opportunity now on several occasions to use the Maxx Digital Mobile Rocket Raid. It is the ideal solution for when you need to have a more mobile kit that still has the power of a RED Rocket. During one the first REDucations, we used my 2008 15" MacBook Pro hooked to a 4k IGI Power Window through the Mobile Rocket and played back 4k foootage real-time. The power of the Rocket and the convenience of a laptop are now no longer mutually exclusive. There are essentially two different units, one that is slimmer and allows for just a RED Rocket, or the slightly larger unit which allows for a RED Rocket and a Mobile Raid. While there is a time and a place for the extremely small version, the Raid version is what interests me the most. It allows for up to 3 PCIe cards to be installed. There is room for a Rocket, a raid card for the 8 internal drives, and one free PCIe slot We used it recently on a production where for the first part of the show we had the luxury of having 3 Mac Pro towers with 64TB in 2 Maxx Digital EVO4k raids to backup and process all the footage for a 3-4 camera shoot, but then when the feature moved to some remote locations we needed something more portable. In order to accomodate our workflow, we installed an esata card so that we could have a fast connection to not only the internal raid, but also to two shipping drives. It is possible to put a capture card or other card to suit your personal style of working. While we opted to have spinning 2.5" disks in our unit for storage size, it can be made ultra rugged by utilizing the latest SSDs.

Another thing I really like about the enclosure is that it allows you to hook your cards to a desktop or a laptop and move them wherever you need them based on each project. While I love the power of a full size tower system with terabytes and terabytes of storage, it's now possible to take most of that power and storage on the road and back again.

Steve Freebairn
Freehill Productions
http://www.freehillproductions.com

Sincerely,
Ron Amborn President
Maxx Entertainment Digital
21562 Newland Street
Huntington Beach , Ca 92646
Direct 714-374-4944
Cell 714-713-4492 Fax 714-374-3404
ron@maxxdigital.com
http://www.maxxdigital.com