FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Share, IT'S GREAT!

COW Forums : Maxx Digital

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jay Whiteside
Final Share, IT'S GREAT!
on Jul 19, 2010 at 1:08:58 am

I work for the Navy and have been on the road for a while and I just wanted to send out a big shout out the the folks at Maxx Digital, John West and Bob Zelin. We purchased our solution several months ago and it took our public work guys about the same amount of time to run our ethernet cables, but our system is up and running great.

What we do. I work for what is called Fleet and Family Readiness (FFR) Marketing. FFR manages all quality-of-life programs in the Navy, like base fitness centers, movie theaters, child development centers, food and beverage operations etc. We create videos and print material to educate and inform Sailors and family members about these programs and services.

Our set-up. Three FCP stations (2 Mac Pros and an older G5), one MacBook Pro (for basic editing) and one iMac for print work. All stations are in separate rooms. Our Final Share sits in one FCP edit rooms and is connected to a wall junction box that feeds the rest of our systems. I have nine drops to other locations for future Macs.

Video. We shoot with Panasonic HVX200s and HPX170s at 720p 24PN and we still use older SP footage as well in a variety of formats.

The first test after setting up Final Share was to load up as many real time streams (same footage files) as each FCP Mac could handle. All tracks were set to 50% transparency and set to play in a loop. No problems, the sequences where about 10 minutes long and looped. We played them for about 45 minutes.

The first real world experience for our FS was; two FCP stations editing DVDPRO HD, one ingesting and editing an older SP DV program and the MacBook Pro transferring all our other footage (HD and SD) from two G-Tech 2TB drives connected to our FS MacPro. No Problems, no dropped frames, just work.

Our FS system was up and running within a hour of taking it out of the boxes. No muss no fuss. Very clean, no server/SAN software, no seat licenses etc. Just a MacPro acting as the server, a multi-port ethernet switch and the EVO Hard Drives (for us 16TB).

We've had zero problems with our system, it's been running for about three months now. It has made our work flow more efficient and I would highly recommend it to anyone who's running a few edit bays and needs a low-cost, easy to set-up and maintain SAN solution. And oh by-the-way, John and Bob have been very responsive and great to deal with and I know I can call/email them whenever I have a problem or questions. They've where a big factor in going the Final Share route.

Jay Whiteside
AV Program Manager
FFR Marketing

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]