FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Share Connectivity Issue

COW Forums : Maxx Digital

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Sullivan
Final Share Connectivity Issue
on May 17, 2010 at 3:49:05 pm

We are having serious connectivity problems with our Final Share system and I was hoping someone might have had a similar issue and found a solution. We are in the middle of a large project (11 videos) with our biggest client and need to figure out these issues ASAP.

We are a small production company with 4 edit systems. We have 2 8-core MacPro's, 1 G5, and a MacBookPro all running FCP.

We are experiencing a 'spinning beachball' on all these systems (the raid disappears from the desktop) for upwards of 5 minutes before the Maxx Digital Final Share raid again becomes responsive. In the few months since we have had our Final Share we have had very good connectivity with one of our MacPro's and issues with the second. However, this is the first time we have run all 4 machines at the same time.
I should mention that Bob Zelin has been very helpful and responsive in troubleshooting our issues. We have tried a good number of things to try and solve a similar problem (replace PEG-1 card, cables, rebuild edit system from OSX up, etc.).
If anyone has some insight as to why we might be having issues I would love to hear from you.
Many thanks.

-Ryan Sullivan

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Final Share Connectivity Issue
on May 17, 2010 at 4:18:51 pm

We had this for a short time and I am trying to remember what the guys at Small Tree changed in our setup to eliminate this issue on our systems.

Ensure that all 4 of your systems are coming in on its own Bond. If any of them are sharing a Bond, this can cause serious latency issues and cause a system to lock up. So each of your systems should be connecting to the SAN computer via it's own unique router address.

Like this:

System 1: 192.168.2.3
System 2: 192.168.3.3
System 3: 192.168.4.3
System 4: 192.168.5.3

If any two systems are connecting via the same Bond (that's the 3rd number in the string) you can have connectivity issues and latency issues.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Ryan Sullivan
on May 17, 2010 at 4:34:40 pm

Thanks for the reply Walter.
According to the setup sheet, sent by Bob Zelin, we have IP addresses assigned as:

Edit 1: 192.168.2.4
Edit 2: 192.168.2.5
Edit 3 (MacBook Pro): 192.168.2.6
Edit 4 Mac G5 Quad: 192.168.2.7

I will double check this when I speak with Bob.
Thanks.

-Ryan

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on May 17, 2010 at 4:59:47 pm

[Ryan Sullivan] "Edit 1: 192.168.2.4
Edit 2: 192.168.2.5
Edit 3 (MacBook Pro): 192.168.2.6
Edit 4 Mac G5 Quad: 192.168.2.7"

That setup definitely sounds like an issue to me as that third number should be different for all of them instead of all of them sharing Bond 2. But your setup might be different than mine.

As Ron noted, call in to Maxx Digital as this is not something that can be solved on a forum like this, you need to speak directly to tech support and most likely they will log into your system using iChat like we do here. Makes troubleshooting much easier.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Editor, Colorist, Director, Writer, Consultant, Author, Chef.
HD Post and Production
Biscardi Creative Media

"Foul Water, Fiery Serpent" featuring Sigourney Weaver coming soon.

Blog Twitter Facebook

Return to posts index

Ron Amborn
on May 17, 2010 at 4:30:04 pm

Ryan
Please give us a call after 10 AM PST. We work very close with several engineers at ATT, Apple and Small Tree that will collectively help solve the problem. Do not call them direct as it will cause confusion. Please call Kyle 714-600-3050 or Bob Z 407-257-9157 and if no answer call the office @ 714-374-4944. We will get your problem addressed.

Sincerely,
Ron Amborn President
Maxx Entertainment Digital
21562 Newland Street
Huntington Beach , Ca 92646
Direct 714-374-4944
Cell 714-713-4492 Fax 714-374-3404
ron@maxxdigital.com
http://www.maxxdigital.com

Return to posts index

Ryan Sullivan
on May 17, 2010 at 5:28:17 pm

Appreciate your feedback Ron and Walter.
Talking to Kyle at Maxx Digital now and hope to have this solved quickly.
Pray for me.

-R

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on May 17, 2010 at 10:16:19 pm

Ryan made one big mistake this morning. HE DID NOT CALL ME DIRECTLY. As everyone knows, if you call my CEL phone, I answer, or I call you right back. Ryan finally called my cel at 1:15pm, and I called him back at 1:30pm. I was installing a new Final Share system for The Palm Beach Post newspaper in West Palm Beach, FL.

Ryan's problem was temporarily resolved by simply restarting his server computer. The actual problem was outdated drives on his multi port ethernet card, which at 5:30 this evening, we updated, and now everything is running correctly.

So Ryan, if this happens again, or if you have any issues, JUST CALL MY CEL PHONE, and you can get thru to me right away, without having to suffer, like you did this morning.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Ron Amborn
Re: Final Share Connectivity Issue Solved
on May 17, 2010 at 10:24:04 pm

Bob you are our HERO. I will honestly say that not many companies respond like we do and that's how we will stay. The customer always comes first no matter weekday or weekend MAXX DIGITAL will be there for you.

Sincerely,
Ron Amborn President
Maxx Entertainment Digital
21562 Newland Street
Huntington Beach , Ca 92646
Direct 714-374-4944
Cell 714-713-4492 Fax 714-374-3404
ron@maxxdigital.com
http://www.maxxdigital.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved