FORUMS: list search recent posts

Performance change Evo2

COW Forums : Maxx Digital

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Hotti
Performance change Evo2
on Nov 29, 2009 at 7:18:20 pm

First off I just have to say the level of customer service I received from Maxx Digital was superb. I called Jeff West on Tuesday, had the unit Wednesday. Kyle answered both of my stupid questions without making me feel stupid and I was up and running with speeds in the 700-800 mb/sec area.

My problem is I am now seeing rates of 180 - 190 mb/sec for some reason. I had the faster rates for at least 2 days and nothing changed on my system in that time.

MacPro 2.66
OS 10.5.8
Kona 3 Card with 6.5 drivers (7.0 and 7.1 caused a problem on boot up)
Current Version of FCS
MaxxDigial drivers for Leopard

Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
Re: Performance change Evo2
on Nov 29, 2009 at 7:32:22 pm

Hey Craig -
OK, something is up with your system, because I install AJA 7.0 and 7.1 drivers ALL THE TIME, and there is no issue with these drivers. So something is up.

How old is your MAC Pro ? Do you have an "early" MAC Pro, that uses the Expansion Slot Utility - because if you do, and your SAS/SATA host card is set as a x1 lane card, this will cause this problem. Something happened, if you were at 600Mb/sec, and two days later you are at 190Mb/sec.

What host card do you have - the ATTO or the Areca ? How many disk drives do you have 8, 12 or 16 ? Do you have a drive failure ? Have you opened either MRAID (for Areca) or ATTO Configuration Tool (for ATTO) to see if your RAID array is degraded ? You better start learning this stuff, because if you have a failure, you have to know how to identify it, and resolve it.

If you have an Areca card, you better have Mozilla Firefox on your system, and run Firefox, and type this in -
http://localhost:81
this will get you into the MRAID utility. Your name is: admin, and your password is: 0000
Do you see any degraded arrays, or any drives that have failed ?

Do you know what MAC you have ? Do you know how to get into Apple Expansion Slot Utility (I don't even know if it applies to your MAC, because you have not told us any details).

I am here to assist you - but if you dont' give me DETAILS(other than "its not working") I can't help you.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Craig Hotti
on Nov 29, 2009 at 8:28:48 pm

Thanks for the speedy response Bob. Here's the skinny;

New Mac Pro bought 2 weeks ago
Areca Card in Slot 2
8 Drives
No Drive Failure
I have Firefox and am able to get into the MRaid utility fine
Expansion Slot utility does not apply to these newer MacPro, at least that's what the pop up window says when I open it

The system has a Radeon 4870 graphics card. With the Kona 7.0 or 7.1 drivers I was getting blue screens on boot up after rebooting a couple of times. I could get into the system in Safe mode though. Tested the system with just the graphics card and I had no problem. Tested the system with the Raid card installed and hooked up to the drives and had no problem. Put the Kona card in, when the 7.1 drivers were installed and I was getting the blue screens again. Uninstalled the drivers and installed 7.0--same problem. Did the same thing to install 6.5 and I can boot up fine. Tested the speed and it was smoking at 700-800. Tested it again after editing for a few hours and a reboot and 700-800 still. Came this morning after leaving the system on all night and was getting 180-190. Did a reboot and am still getting 180-190.

I am sure I am missing something obvious. Thanks for any and all help.

Craig Hotti
Pen to Pixels, Inc.
Glendale, CA

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 29, 2009 at 8:55:15 pm

With the Kona 7.0 or 7.1 drivers I was getting blue screens on boot up after rebooting a couple of times. I could get into the system in Safe mode though.

REPLY - this is happening because you did not load the NDD drivers from AJA. You MUST load the NDD drivers, or you will get "blue screens". This is a known issue, and is the very reason the NDD driver exists.

Came this morning after leaving the system on all night and was getting 180-190. Did a reboot and am still getting 180-190.

REPLY - this makes no sense. I can only assume that you do not have too much media on your drives, since it's brand new. I urge you to backup your media, and reinitialize your drive array. I have no idea of what is going on, but if you have a new array, with almost nothing on it, and you are getting 190Mb/sec, something is very wrong. For now, I would pull out the Kona, and just for the hell of it, put the Areca card in slot 3 or 4 with no Kona, and test drive speed again. (I put the Areca card in slot 2 as well which is a x16 lane slot - but we are doing tests now - just try this). With no Kona card, and the AReca in slot 3 or 4, and with an ERASED drive array - is the speed back to normal ? If it is not, again, look in MRAID - are you SURE you are not seeing a "degraded" drive array ?
Because at worst case you should be getting 400 - 500 Mb/sec even if the array is full.

I am here.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 29, 2009 at 8:56:21 pm

by the way -
you don't happen to have "something else" in the computer, like a SIIG firewire card in one of the slots, do you ?

Return to posts index

Craig Hotti
on Nov 29, 2009 at 10:54:08 pm

No other cards on the system. I double checked and all the drives are showing normal.

Here's what I did:
1. Reinitialized the drive
2. Checked speed: 180-190 still
3. Removed Kona Card and moved Raid card to slot 3: Speed 600-690
4. Moved Raid card back to slot 2: Speed 800-900 (Kona Card Still Out)
5. Put Kona card back in: Speed 800-900 again

I am currently loading footage back on the drive (had about 1TB on it) and will edit awhile to see what happens.

Oh and my bad on the NDD drivers, forgot to load them. Screens all happy now with Kona 7.1.

Going to have to send you a nice muffin basket when this is all figured out. Thanks Bob.

Craig Hotti
Pen to Pixels, Inc.
Glendale, CA

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Nov 29, 2009 at 11:40:27 pm

ok, so it sounds like you are back to normal. I don't know what made your system slow down so dramatically. Let me know right away if it happens again.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Craig Hotti
on Dec 1, 2009 at 4:40:40 am

Well the gremlins are back. Worked all day yesterday and up until 7pm tonight and no problems. I tested it every few hours just to be sure.

Noticed things slowing down a bit so I ran the test and I was back to 180-190. Rebooted and now I have 375-390. Checked MRaid again and all drives are showing Normal.

The only thing loaded on in that time were he Presets for the Aja LA Io and Java 2.

Under tight deadlines for a bunch of shows so I'm going to crank through, shouldn't be too much of a performance hit sine I am only doing SD and XDCAM EX files.

Thanks again for any help.

Craig Hotti
Pen to Pixels, Inc.
Glendale, CA

Return to posts index

Ron Amborn
on Dec 1, 2009 at 6:29:29 pm

Craig
Please contact Kyle privately and he will help you. His number is 714-600-3050. We will send him out with a new unit if necessary. It does not sound like the storage is broken but we will eliminate that possibility. Our most important goal is to keep you working.

Sincerely,
Ron Amborn President
Maxx Entertainment Digital
21562 Newland Street
Huntington Beach , Ca 92646
Direct 714-374-4944
Cell 714-713-4492 Fax 714-374-3404
ron@maxxdigital.com
http://www.maxxdigital.com

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 2, 2009 at 12:11:08 am

the very fact that you say "I rebooted, and now I have 375-390" means that something else is going on - and I don't know what.
I have no idea of the condition of your MAC boot drive, but I would sure love for you (at your convenience, like this weekend), to stick another SATA drive in your MAC, install a clean OS, and nothing else but the driver for your SATA card, and test your drive again. There is no question that a drive array can be failing, but what you are describing sounds like something is going on, on your internal MAC HD. At 60 bucks for a 500 Gig drive, and about 2 hours of your time, this is a worthwhile test.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Dec 2, 2009 at 1:43:01 pm

At the cost of appearing stupid, I'd like to think aloud here...

You are testing speed with the AJA speed test, aren't you? In that case are there some prefs that could be going corrupt and not actually reporting correct speeds.
By all indications, this appears to be perfectly working storage.

Also, could this be some cache thing? Does the Areca have any cacheing system which influences/affects reported performance?

Only wondering.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

John West
on Dec 2, 2009 at 7:37:09 pm

Neil,

Thanks for the feed back.

John West

Return to posts index

Craig Hotti
on Dec 3, 2009 at 2:11:55 am

John,

This is why you guys are my new favorite vendor. The level of service has been far beyond anything I have experienced in this industry. I am truly amazed by Maxx Digital.

Everything is working at the moment and when I get a free few hours next week, I'll do the things Kyle (who called yesterday) and Bob recommended to see what's going on.

Thanks again

Craig Hotti
Pen to Pixels, Inc.
Glendale, CA

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Dec 3, 2009 at 4:07:10 am

hey,
we ain't better than AJA, but we try.

Bob Zelin

Return to posts index

John West
on Dec 3, 2009 at 7:31:24 pm

Craig,

Thank you for the post. We are glad to hear that you are happy with our service, we are always here for you.

Return to posts index

Simon Blackledge
on Dec 15, 2009 at 8:20:32 am

So all sorted? Was it an Areca card with a dirty cache issue?

s

Return to posts index

Craig Hotti
on Dec 17, 2009 at 5:37:06 pm

It cropped up twice more, both times as I was working in Motion oddly. I could tell something slowed down, check the speed and sure enough it was low again. A reboot made it all better. I have not seen it happen in awhile though, and I've been working non stop the entire time. Very happy with these drives. Thanks for all the help and ideas.

Craig Hotti
Pen to Pixels, Inc.
Glendale, CA

Return to posts index

Ron Amborn
on Dec 17, 2009 at 6:24:10 pm

No problem. As you see there are lots of companies that try to sell and fail or go out of business trying. We are all about the after sale and keeping our customers for years to come. Happy Holidays to all and a safe and prosperous new year.

Sincerely,
Ron Amborn President
Maxx Entertainment Digital
21562 Newland Street
Huntington Beach , Ca 92646
Direct 714-374-4944
Cell 714-713-4492 Fax 714-374-3404
ron@maxxdigital.com
http://www.maxxdigital.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved