FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mount 8TB Raid under Bootcamp/XP

COW Forums : Maxx Digital

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Frank Laughlin
Mount 8TB Raid under Bootcamp/XP
on Apr 6, 2009 at 4:04:57 am

I have 8TB EVO-2 raid connected to MacPro. All works amazingly well. I need to 'see' the drive when booted under bootcamp/Windows XP, but the raid doesn't show up in Windows. I looked on the Maxx Digital website and only see drivers for MacPro and G5.

How do I go about mounting raid when I'm in Windows (I know next to nothing about working in Windows, so speak slowly).

Thanks in advance for any help.

- Frank Laughlin
Digitonium

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
Re: Mount 8TB Raid under Bootcamp/XP
on Apr 6, 2009 at 10:15:38 am

It's not a driver thing, you need the Windows machine to be able to recognize a Mac formatted drive.

Google an application called MacDrive. Costs about $75 and allows a Mac formatted drive to mount up on a Windows machine. We use it here for our portable firewire drives. Never tried it with an EVO HD as we do not run Windows on any of our Macs, but don't see why this wouldn't work.

You will probably need Windows drivers for whatever SAS/SATA card you're running though.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

walter biscardi
on Apr 6, 2009 at 10:19:00 am

[walter biscardi] "Never tried it with an EVO HD as we do not run Windows on any of our Macs, but don't see why this wouldn't work.

You will probably need Windows drivers for whatever SAS/SATA card you're running though.
"

Actually thinking this through a little more, not sure if it will work. The portable firewire drives are stand-alone units. I would call tech support for the card manufacturer, in our case we run the ATTO R-380 card, and ask them if this will work.

I'm not entirely sure if the card will recognize a Mac Formatted drive when running in Windows mode. MacDrive works great with self contained drives, not entirely sure how it will work in this situation.

Walter Biscardi, Jr.
Biscardi Creative Media
HD and SD Production for Broadcast and Independent Productions.

Read my Blog!

STOP STARING AND START GRADING WITH APPLE COLOR Apple Color Training DVD available now!

Return to posts index

Peter Majtan
on Apr 6, 2009 at 5:02:20 pm

You have to remember that drive formated under Mac OS-X with Apple or GUID partition will not be visible under Windows. And drives formated as FAT are limited to 2TB in size. If You turn the drives into "Dynamic" under Windows, You won't be able to modify them under Mac. So the only way You could have a access to the EVO under both OS-X and Windows is to partition it into 4 partitions (each smaller then 2TB) and format them as FAT-32. You will end up with four volumes that You will be able to share under both OS'es. You will need to backup ALL the current data on the volume before modifying it!

Peter

Return to posts index

Frank Laughlin
on Apr 6, 2009 at 5:06:06 pm

I really just need to 'see' the raid under XP, not write to it. Can something like MacDrive allow this?

- Frank Laughlin
Digitonium

Return to posts index

Peter Majtan
on Apr 6, 2009 at 5:25:55 pm

That is something I would ask Walter. I have never tried any SW like that, so I am unable to comment. Sorry about that...

Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]