FORUMS: list search recent posts

Curved Halftone

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Danielle Ranck
Curved Halftone
on Jun 9, 2018 at 2:02:24 pm

Hi!

Does anyone know how to make a curved halftone in either Illustrator or Photoshop? I'm looking to create a curved halftone that fits the curve of the rainbow below:

So I made this:

But its linear, and not what I'm looking for. I used 3D revolve as well, still didn't create what I want, I've tried various ways, watched several tutorials, I can't figure it out. Please help!

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Curved Halftone
on Jun 9, 2018 at 5:26:02 pm

You mean something like this?

I took your two files and warped (Edit>Transform>Warp) the top layer (halftone) which is blended in screen mode.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Jun 9, 2018 at 5:30:52 pm

With a CMYK halftone pattern it would look more like this. Same technique except the overlay is a CMYK halftone.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
on Jun 9, 2018 at 5:31:43 pm

That was Photoshop, forgot to mention.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

Danielle Ranck
on Jun 10, 2018 at 5:21:45 am

I'll give this a try, this looks like what I want.

Thanks so much, I was going a bit crazy haha. But still wondering if there's a way to create a curved halftone pattern without using warp or 3d revolve. I tried using the blend tool in Illustrator, but the spacing and duplication looked odd. Anyway, I'll give this a try and post it, maybe it'll help someone with a similar issue.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Angie Taylor
on Jun 17, 2018 at 7:05:15 am
Last Edited By Angie Taylor on Jun 17, 2018 at 7:25:47 am

You can do this with the Transform effect. You will need to apply two separate instances of the Transform effects to achieve this. Here are screenshots that show an experiment I did with it. Use the settings I have here to replicate it.

First, draw a dot. Then use these settings in the Transform effect to replicate it by however many dots you want. Make sure to check the preview box to see whats happening as you work;

Then apply the Transform effect again but with these settings (it will ask you if you want to apply another instance of the effect - say yes ☺

The second instance creates the mutliple rows.

You can then use a Clipping Mask or the Crop tool to make this into the Shape you want and finally color your artwork.

cheers,

Angie Taylor | Creative Cabin Ltd | Linkedin Instructor | Adobe Community Professional

http://www.creativecabin.co.uk
https://www.lynda.com/Angie-Taylor/2131450-1.html
Twitter: theangietaylor
Linkedin: theangietaylor
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Angie-Taylor/118378194869002

Return to posts index

Angie Taylor
on Jun 17, 2018 at 8:01:34 am

BTW, forgot to add that you can also add Scale in the Transform effect to create the effect of the dots scaling and getting closer together - typical in halftone.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]