FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pathfinder path precision

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Luke Regan
Pathfinder path precision
on Feb 6, 2018 at 4:42:52 pm
Last Edited By Luke Regan on Feb 6, 2018 at 4:56:22 pm

When working in Illustrator I get edge artifacts after dividing shapes. After perfectly aligning the shapes I would expect a clean edge but maybe that's asking too much. Here's what I mean:

I have two identical rounded rectangles, one that I've rotated 45 degrees. I've aligned the rectangles on one end as best I possibly can.

Zoomed in to the edge.

Now, I divide these two layers creating three shapes so I can individually color them. If I move one of the shapes, it's clear the edges did not divide along the edge. Divide leaves artifacts behind. This might not be noticeable in many cases but it's sloppy and requires a lot of cleanup to get simpler, clean shapes.

My goal is to divide two shapes in order to get three shapes so that I can color each shape individually.

Messy:

Is there a way to avoid getting these artifacts or is Illustrator just not that precise? Seems pretty lame considering the "professional" software and cost.

I've turned off GPU and anti-aliasing and still get the same results. All the snapping or align to pixel grid is off as well. I'm working in a document set up for print. CC 2018 version 22.0.1.

One solution I've found is to use an outline instead of a fill on the shapes and then divide. The artifacts are still left behind in the form of a ton of "little lines" but I can hide the three main outlined shapes and delete all the little lines. Then I can change the shapes to solid fills. This work around is not ideal and also time consuming.

Return to posts index

Luke Regan
Re: Pathfinder path precision
on Feb 6, 2018 at 4:58:58 pm

Solution: don't use rounded rectangles in Illustrator. If I start with a circle and a square I can achieve what I need using the divide tool. A bit clunky but no artifacts. There must be issues with the rounded rectangle boolean.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]