FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to create a repeatable, complex warp for images printed on stretch fabric

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anna Tew
How to create a repeatable, complex warp for images printed on stretch fabric
on Mar 15, 2017 at 6:13:15 pm

Hi everyone! I am printing images on spandex. The spandex is then stretched over a circle which causes a lot of distortion to the image. How can i warp the images in illustrator so that they do not look distorted when stretched over the circle. I have tried an envelope distort but am not having much luck. I will need to apply the exact same effect to many images. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: How to create a repeatable, complex warp for images printed on stretch fabric
on Mar 15, 2017 at 11:53:37 pm

This seems more like a Photoshop project.

I've never considered this challenge before, but it seems that there are a few caveats..

Initially, it seems that you would just need to shrink the image, then when it is stretched it goes to the right size.

How do you get the right scaling?
It seems that you would have to do an actual production test, with the printed stretch material and the ring.

But this idea seems to leverage the expectation that this device will evenly tension the material, which it might not.

Are you seeing an even stretch or is it distorted, such as the center not stretching much but the edges stretch greatly?
If that's the case, in PS you could try Filter > Distort > Spherize. You could save this as an action, then batch process your files.
Otherwise, if you need more granular control, in AI you could try Object > Envelope Distort > Make with Mesh. You'd have to test the points setting until you find a setting that works for you, but that's an option. I'm not sure how you might automate this approach, however.

Just a few thoughts.

Vince

*Please remember to Like an answer if it solves your question or gives you a good idea.

Return to posts index

Anna Tew
Re: How to create a repeatable, complex warp for images printed on stretch fabric
on Mar 16, 2017 at 1:41:25 pm

Hi! Thank you so much for your response. It does not stretch evenly. I forgot to mention that here is an opening at the top in order for the fabric sleeve to slide over the ring. Here is a photo that shows the distortion. I will need to warp different kinds of images, some vector graphics, some pngs. I have tried envelope distort but am having trouble getting it to be accurate.
11141_60mmbackcropped.jpg.zip

Please let me know if this gives you any ideas!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]