FORUMS: list search recent posts

Newbie Logo Design

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tamandra Michaels
Newbie Logo Design
on Sep 21, 2016 at 8:00:47 pm

I'm very new to Illustrator, but as a photographer and artist have used PS for years. So I can take some stabs at it...and I'm trying to update and modernize this logo. I figured out how to do what I have in the photo so far. The ribbon "air" stumped me bad lol. I ended up using a pencil tool and drawing it freehand, then fixing it as I wanted. Probably the hard (wrong?) way. So any tips on making this better? And easier? LOL. What's a better way to make a ribbon twisty like this?

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: Newbie Logo Design
on Sep 21, 2016 at 9:14:56 pm

First, this is a fantastic redraw project/opportunity.

The ribbons give a sense of motion, so I'd use italic fonts, as in the original.
This motion is also in the black bars.
I'm not sure what the big font might be, presuming it originally was a font, but I might try something more geometric like Eurostile.
After setting the type, you can Object > Expand it to add the custom serifs, if that's something that would help.
Looks like the small font could be Myriad, or some other humanist sans font. I'd try that.
The ribbons look like they should all be behind the bars.
I'd make no attempt to recreate the bevel effect. Generally, I'd say that effect dated.

For the ribbons, you should use a minimum of points.
I'd guess that the length of a ribbon can be achieved with 5 points, with a total of 9 points for each complete ribbon.
1 - At the left point.
1 - At the first bump, from the left.
1 - At the second bump, from the left.
1 - At the third bump, from the left.
1 - At the terminal at the right edge.

Once you create one path and make it as nice as you can, duplicate it 5 times so you have the upper and lower paths for each ribbon.

Create a temporary object to use as a size guide, to properly space the 2 paths of each ribbon.

Make sure to close these paths.
The point on the left can be closed by selecting both points with the Direct Select tool and Object > Path > Join.
The terminal in the right side can be closed simply with the pen tool.

Use a copy of one of the black vertical bars to align the right side of the ribbons.

Create a temporary object to use as a size guide, to evenly space each ribbon.

I'd make the white highlight in the ribbon a lot tighter around the black bars, it appears to spread out too far on the blue side.

Remove the stroke from the ribbons.

If, in the end, you decide that you do need to create depth or shading in the type or ribbons, or whatever, I'd use a flat-shading approach demonstrated here..
https://library.creativecow.net/rosati_vincent/ai_helix_3/1

Just some initial thoughts.

Vince

*Please remember to Like an answer if it solves your question or gives you a good idea.

Return to posts index

Tamandra Michaels
on Sep 21, 2016 at 9:19:31 pm

THANK YOU!!! Wow great help! This is a very rough copy of course, just what I had gotten to doing so far trial and error lol. Love your tips about the italics and fonts. Now I feel like I've got a clear path to success! Cool! I'll go work this and report back. I normally do dog related stuff, artwork and whatnot. Not sure I'd want to do a lot of these, but it's a good learning experience!

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on Sep 21, 2016 at 9:33:34 pm

Please do, report back. I feel like I'm emotionally invested now! :)

Vince

*Please remember to Like an answer if it solves your question or gives you a good idea.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]