FORUMS: list search recent posts

getting rid of white space and resizing the finished piece??

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Tucker
getting rid of white space and resizing the finished piece??
on Aug 28, 2016 at 7:44:35 pm

Hello All!! I have two questions. Here is briefly what I'm doing. My friend wants a vector of his auto shop logo that he can resize and whatever, I started the project with a raster scan of the logo. There is too much blank space around the logo, how can I get rid of that? If I delete the anchor points, the logo disappears, but if my 2nd question gets answered this may not matter as I can just resize to whatever is needed. Secondly, I've got everything looking good, had to redraw part of the logo, several layers involved, how can I flatten everything into one resizeable layer where all elements move together, get rid of the blank space around the logo and save the file as something he can use??? I'm guessing PDF?

Thank you all!!

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: getting rid of white space and resizing the finished piece??
on Aug 28, 2016 at 9:51:59 pm

You probably do want to delete the original raster, as this won't scale in the way your friend expects. Those anchors are the corners of the raster. They don't behave the same way as vector anchors, as it's not a vector object.
You might have to do a little more drawing.
If you do intend to keep the raster, you could use a Clipping Mask to hide the unwanted parts - Draw a shape object on top of the raster, at the size you want, select this new object and the raster and Object > Clipping Mask > Make.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

Andy Tucker
on Aug 29, 2016 at 3:50:50 pm

Thanks for the reply!!

Forgot to mention, the raster scan has been live traced, but had gradients in the original so I had to redraw those elements.

What I've done before I got your message was "selected all" and "flattened transparency". Then I re sized everything to fill the art board, and saved that as a PDF... The problem with that is I had to zoom way way out to pull the anchors, I don't know if this will work for him or cause a more confusing problem when he tries to open it... What are your thoughts?

I will try the clipping mask also as I need to know how to do these things. I'm starting Illustrator with a background in Photoshop and I almost never used clipping masks there...

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
on Aug 30, 2016 at 12:41:27 am

You can Object > Expand your traced object. Then you can selectively delete the unwanted parts.
I would generally use the Group Select tool for this.

I'm not sure that flattening transparency will help, for this project.

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]