FORUMS: list search recent posts

Masking problem

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeff Campbell
Masking problem
on Jul 18, 2016 at 6:05:48 pm

I had a logo made, and when I received it, I didn't realize I wanted the negative space reversed.

Original:

Within the grey circle, we want the "spokes" to be also grey, and the arcs to be transparent.

So, I added a grey circle as the bottom layer, made the grey arcs white, and another unfilled circle to for the outline. (the grey arcs were part of the outer grey circle)

Modified:

Now, I've tried to mask the now white arcs to the bottom grey circle, trying to make the white space transparent, while maintaining the grey spokes.

However, it's making the spokes transparent and the white arcs are still there.

What am I doing wrong? Without having to remake the paths, how can I make the arcs transparent while leaving the spokes opaque?

Return to posts index

Vincent Rosati
Re: Masking problem
on Jul 18, 2016 at 8:50:46 pm

Based on your description, it sounds like all of the paths you need might already be in the artwork.
You'd use a combination of; View / Outline Mode, Group Select Tool, and Cmd + 2 (Object / Lock / Selection) to find them.

Otherwise, here are the steps I used to reproduce your issue..

Project File Here

Vince

*Please remember to Rate our replies or check Solution if solved. If you get a good idea from the post, consider clicking the Kudos option.

Return to posts index

Jeff Campbell
on Jul 19, 2016 at 2:09:07 pm

Do you know of a way that I can use the layer already created to make a mask? The above is useful in creating a new path, but doesn't really address my question on how to utilize that to mask the bottom layer.

Thank you.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Jul 19, 2016 at 3:53:50 pm

The pathfinder can be used to combine and cut shapes out of each other. That being the case, you'd need to combine the white pieces into one combined path with the Unite option and then use the resulting shape to cut those parts out of a filled circle.

Return to posts index

Jeff Campbell
on Jul 19, 2016 at 4:00:00 pm

Luckily, they are all one piece already. I'll try that out!

Return to posts index

Jeff Campbell
on Jul 19, 2016 at 4:02:59 pm

Thanks so much! That worked!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]