FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blend mode for creating flat design shadow

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Toby van Ooijen
Blend mode for creating flat design shadow
on Jul 5, 2016 at 2:23:47 pm

Hello, I have a question.

I want to create flat design logo's and I have been watching a lot of tutorials.
I understand the steps I have to take.

I have my object and I copy it two times so I have 3 the same objects in 1 layer.
The top layer I make invisible, the second layer black and it stays underneath my object.
The thirth layer I move in an angle of 45 degrees and make it with no stroke and no fill.

I select the black object and the object with no fill and then I go to Blend Options and set it to specified distance with 1px. Then I go to Object --> Blend --> Make. But when I do this, my shadow doesn't appear from black to white nice faded out, but just from black to black.

I have followed all the steps like they did in the tutorials I have watched, but never with the outcome of the tutorials. The blend option does appear when I give my objects both a color (instead of one with no fill). But I want a nice fade from black to nothing.

Can someone help me, I really have no clue what I'm doing wrong, or what I have to do different.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Blend mode for creating flat design shadow
on Jul 6, 2016 at 5:55:14 am

I don't know that AI can blend to transparent. You can blend from black to white, making sure that the white layer is the bottom one, and then set the resulting blending group to multiply blending mode with essentially the same outcome.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]