FORUMS: list search recent posts

release clipping mask AND delete?

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Engelkemier
release clipping mask AND delete?
on Jul 1, 2016 at 11:35:46 am

For whatever reason (may or may not have been something I did since I'm passing these files to someone else as well, in a mixed PC/Mac environment) A bunch of images have clipping masks on them, and they are pointless because they are the same size as the image. Removing them is a pain because you can't see them since they are the same size as the image.

But regardless, is the a way to remove a clipping mask, and delete the shape that made the mask all in one step?
I've reverted to the best process I could figure out. Select the image, cut, select the clipping mask, delete, paste in front.

You can select the mask if you get right at the edge, but it's not as easy to get that right every time. I have hundreds to do, and this isn't the first time, so I thought I'd ask.

You also get masks upon masks around nearly Everything if you import a pdf that wasn't saved out of illustrator as an editable illustrator document. But the same thing happens if you open up a newer illustrator file in an older version of illustrator, even say 15.3 to 15.2. So be careful people. This will also cause effects like drop shadow to be rasterized, which no one wants until they go to print.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: release clipping mask AND delete?
on Jul 2, 2016 at 6:57:45 am

Are they all in the same image? I would think you could select all, release clipping path, select one of the clipping paths, select objects with same fill and stroke (both none) and delete.

Return to posts index

Andy Engelkemier
Re: release clipping mask AND delete?
on Jul 5, 2016 at 12:08:54 pm

Oh, you know I didn't think of doing that.
Clipping masks always end up with no fill and no line color. So that should work pretty well. Chances are, if I have anything else in the file with no fill or line color, then it's likely a mistake.

Thanks for the tip. I very much appreciate it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]