FORUMS: list search recent posts

Illustrator to After Effects Q

COW Forums : Adobe Illustrator

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Lewen
Illustrator to After Effects Q
on Jun 30, 2016 at 6:33:35 am

Hi there
I am working in AE for a long time, and when facing the issue i'm about to address, I had my tedious way of getting it "the way I want" for AE.
I am getting designed text. A lot of text. Each letter (!) is made out of 3-4 layers.
I want these layers to be arranged in LAYERS for AE to give me each 3-4 layers of each letter.

I am attaching an example of ONE letter

Is there a simple way of getting 3 layers from this example?
the tedious one, for me is, in this case; duplicating X 3 and deleting 2 paths from each duplicate... X a lot of letters...

I hope I am clear!
(also I hope I am very inexperienced with illu, and there is a magic button...)
Any input is appreciated!

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Illustrator to After Effects Q
on Jun 30, 2016 at 7:22:25 am

You have a clipping group (in AI) which is pretty much analogous to a precomp with a mask (in AE).

Do all the letters have the same type of color fill with the same three triangular color areas in the same colors? If that is the case, you could bring in just the clipping path as a path (copy/paste) as a mask for a precomp that contains those base colors, duplicating the precomp as many times as you have letters and pasting the letter outlines as a mask to each.

Of course, the workability of this depends on what you're planning on doing with the letters once you have them in AE.

Return to posts index

Adam Lewen
on Jun 30, 2016 at 7:24:57 am

Thanks fro replying.

Let me test and see if I understand what you mean...
Ill update :)

Return to posts index

Jason Jantzen
on Jun 30, 2016 at 6:25:31 pm

An even easier solution would be to "release" the clipping path for each letter, delete the clip shapes, ungroup everything, then on the layer stack in AI, select the top layer (NOT the circle) and then select the context menu and then "release to layers". I made a tut on that here

Then import that AI file as a composition in AE and select "Layer Size" for footage dimensions. It would be wise to name your layers in AI or AE at some point.

Select all the layers that are the color shapes for each letter and click the "Preserve Underlying Transparency" button for all of them (it's under the switches and modes column). If you need more help from there, let me know.

Jason Jantzen
vimeo.com/jasonj

Return to posts index

Adam Lewen
on Jul 3, 2016 at 9:28:14 am

Thank you so much for the detailed reply!
Great great help from both of you!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]